Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Have you taken good care of your JK and experienced similar engine problems?
Yes, I have.
19.23%
Nope, knocking on wood.
80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

2007 JK Engine blown!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had this happen to me at 49k!!!!

So driving home on PCH Monday night i went to take off from a red light and my 2007 JK never shifted. The RPMs floated all the way up to 7000 before shifting, then my oil light flashed quickly so I pulled over and checked the oil. Added 2 quarts and proceeded to drive home... Within 2 minutes the engine started knocking. Dragged her to the dealership in the am and they are saying it's a lower engine knock coming from the crank and $1000 exploratory to determine exactly what the problem is. Apparently I should just direct them to this thread! Of course I'm past the 3/36 warranty, and the lifetime warranty that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread was offered to vehicles purchased 3 weeks after mine!!! Rather than throwing 5000 at dropping in a new engine in I think I'm going to sell mine and go for the 2012. Anyone interested in a 3.5" Full Traction lifted Rubicon sitting on Toyo 35"'s on Teflon Mojave wheels?

Oh... and I just saw the poll. With over 20 people in a poll of 140 with the same problem can you say Class Action Lawsuit...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

You can get an engine for pretty cheap and swap it in. I am in the process of getting one now to put in mine.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by duneslider
You can get an engine for pretty cheap and swap it in. I am in the process of getting one now to put in mine.
How many miles before it went duneslider? I'm assuming you had oil consumption and/or engine knock...
Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Well, I have always had spark knock and oil consumption. I don't know exactly how long the head gasket has been leaking, probably been at least the last 10k but wasn't enough to catch or really show. It was after a 1400 mile trip I noticed it.

I am still driving it, have to check oil and antifreeze regularly.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by duneslider
Well, I have always had spark knock and oil consumption. I don't know exactly how long the head gasket has been leaking, probably been at least the last 10k but wasn't enough to catch or really show. It was after a 1400 mile trip I noticed it.

I am still driving it, have to check oil and antifreeze regularly.
That sucks. If I was you I would be filing a claim with chrysler. Find a dealer thay wants to help you. They do get paid by chrysler to do these repairs/replacements. You obviously have one of the bad motors
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ya mine has had this happen too :(

I been without my JK since early September waiting to get the money for the work to be done tried the Chrysler thing they wouldn't do anything cause I go to a local mechanic and not a Mopar service center :(.. I been racking my brain trying to come up with the 4300 bucks my mechanic says its going to cost. I'm hoping to have it back soon, still love Jeep and wouldn't drive nothing else but this sucks. Oh and banks or so helpful too btw i been told no in so many ways its rediculous anything from 30 pts shy on my credit score to oh we see you have a few missed credit payments (no shit you try to put money aside for 4 grand repair bill with my crap job) I wish i had the resources to just do it my freaking self :'(
Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Mudslinger,

I replaced my engine for less than half what you were quoted. I was able to do it in two long days. I'm no expert either, it was my first time pulling an engine.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great outcome .Great job on your part.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Hello, I am having this same issue with my 2007 Wrangler unlimited X. I hear the clicking noise with the engine. Over the last 1200 miles, I have burned 2 quarts of oil. The regular place I take the car to, looked over the engine and saw no sign of leaks.

I am about to head to the dealer.

I also the acknowledgement of oil leaking issues.

I saw the supplemental warranty, but I purchased January 2007.

This is obviously a know issue, that they are trying to ignore.

Do you know specifically what was wrong with your Jeep? Do you know what was done to fix your car? Is there some specific case number, claim, issue number I can refer to when I go to the dealer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
864-650-1002
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattox

Do all 08 Wranglers have a lifetime powertrain warranty? If so, is it only for the original owner?
Yup its only for the original owner my water pump started leaking after 2 weeks of me owning my 08 and they wouldn't do anything for me said the warranty doesn't transfer over im the second owner btw

Quick Reply: 2007 JK Engine blown!!!