Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2 questions- Clutch brand suggestions and new alternator increased MPG?

Old 08-13-2020, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 questions- Clutch brand suggestions and new alternator increased MPG?

First question, need to replace my clutch, does anyone have brand suggestions? 2008 wrangler with 33s, however plan on going to 37s soonish.

Second question, I took a trip to CO and on the way my alternator started to whine and luckily there was an AutoZone close by. I replaced it in the parking lot (upgraded to 160amp) and right after that my mpg went from 14.7 to 18? Could a bad alternator bearing really cause that much resistance that it would rob 3mpg?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Alternator should have no effect on MPG. When you did the replacement, was your battery disconnected such that the MPG average was reset? Certainly in a highway trip, the MPG will be higher than typical. Maybe the lower value was averaging all driving, and the 3mpg higher was all highway because the computer was reset.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I average 16ish daily but resetting on the highway I can get into the 19 range, depending on how much coasting I'm doing. I can't see a 3mpg difference but if it really is then I'll need to go change mine pronto.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
When you did the replacement, was your battery disconnected such that the MPG average was reset? Certainly in a highway trip, the MPG will be higher than typical. Maybe the lower value was averaging all driving, and the 3mpg higher was all highway because the computer was reset.
This is the most logical explanation to me. I know I always feel better when I reset my fuel economy whilst a nice steady pace on the highway, or even better yet, while coasting down a mountain!
Old 08-13-2020, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by resharp001
This is the most logical explanation to me. I know I always feel better when I reset my fuel economy whilst a nice steady pace on the highway, or even better yet, while coasting down a mountain!
I got 114 mpg when I towed the Jeep to Virginia last month.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Alternator should have no effect on MPG. When you did the replacement, was your battery disconnected such that the MPG average was reset? Certainly in a highway trip, the MPG will be higher than typical. Maybe the lower value was averaging all driving, and the 3mpg higher was all highway because the computer was reset.
That is exactly what I thought, but I was keeping an eye on it and checked it via my my calculator/odometer the fill up right before I replaced the alternator and on the same road on the way back going the same speed?

Before alternator

After alternator

Last edited by Michael Belliveau; 08-13-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Well do keep your eye on it. I'm skeptical. I tracked every single fill up on my 2012 over 8 years and 107,000 miles and posted about it on here. One thing that was interesting is that my son was in the Marines. I made several trips from NJ to Parris Island. I always got slightly better mpg on the way back to NJ compared to on the way to Parris island. I attributed that to the prevailing winds. Over that course of 107,000 miles of data, the only thing that had a definite effect on MPG was driving speed, towing, and temperature, which could be from winter and summer gas blends. Oil changes didn't matter. Differential and trans fluid changes didn't matter.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Well do keep your eye on it. I'm skeptical. I tracked every single fill up on my 2012 over 8 years and 107,000 miles and posted about it on here. One thing that was interesting is that my son was in the Marines. I made several trips from NJ to Parris Island. I always got slightly better mpg on the way back to NJ compared to on the way to Parris island. I attributed that to the prevailing winds. Over that course of 107,000 miles of data, the only thing that had a definite effect on MPG was driving speed, towing, and temperature, which could be from winter and summer gas blends. Oil changes didn't matter. Differential and trans fluid changes didn't matter.
Interesting. I will keep checking it to see if I maintain 17 to 19 mpg.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love jeep people, everybody jumped on the possibility of saving 3 mpg, but nobody answered his clutch question.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by baileyj
I love jeep people, everybody jumped on the possibility of saving 3 mpg, but nobody answered his clutch question.
LOL. I was scrolling down through reading the replies first.

Centerforce DualForce II. Has a nice, light pedal, if you like that sort of thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: 2 questions- Clutch brand suggestions and new alternator increased MPG?