Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2 door vs 4 door offroading

Old 05-22-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I wish I could have one of each. A 2 door dedicated off road machine and a 4 door expedition type build. Being I can only have one the 4 door has won out twice and both times my intent was to get the 2 door but just not enough room. I am jealous watching the 2 doors get turned around in places I can't without a little more work and the 2 doors do look better to me but that is a personal thing..
Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The longer JKU wheelbase and wider track width gives a broader stance, and thus greater stability on turns and that sort of driving, as other posters have said. Fire roads, getting to the trail, that sort of thing, just in terms of broadness=less chance of a rollover, and what speed you can feel comfortable whipping around sand turns, etc., I'd give it to the 4-door. That and the long, steep incline or decline, which is basically the stability thing in another context. And cargo space, of course.

But if bottom line I have to use my Jeep to twist around who-knows-what to get up on a crazy trail? Obstacle for obstacle, other factors such as tires being comparable, with the exception of some steep long inclines/declines, for most everything else I'd want a two-door if the obstacle was at the limit of the JK's capability. In the end, the two-door will to go where few other vehicles, including a four-door, can't go, in the limit situations.

Straight getting anywhere capability? probably two-door

Lots of other important stuff? Four-door

Both are amazing, different, but you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by d-rap; 05-22-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by d-rap
The longer JKU wheelbase and wider track width gives a broader stance, and thus greater stability on turns and that sort of driving, as other posters have said. Fire roads, getting to the trail, that sort of thing, just in terms of broadness=less chance of a rollover, and what speed you can feel comfortable whipping around sand turns, etc., I'd give it to the 4-door. That and the long, steep incline or decline, which is basically the stability thing in another context. And cargo space, of course.

But if bottom line I have to use my Jeep to twist around who-knows-what to get up on a crazy trail? Obstacle for obstacle, other factors such as tires being comparable, with the exception of some steep long inclines/declines, for most everything else I'd want a two-door if the obstacle was at the limit of the JK's capability. In the end, the two-door will to go where few other vehicles, including a four-door, can't go, in the limit situations.

Straight getting anywhere capability? probably two-door

Lots of other important stuff? Four-door

Both are amazing, different, but you can't go wrong either way.
U do know the 2 and 4 door are the same width right?
Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a definitive answer, yes. ha ha.

You cannot go wrong either way. where people go wrong is buying a FJ or Tacoma and trying to follow a jk. that's the wrong answer. ha ha.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

U do know the 2 and 4 door are the same width right?
Credibility; gone.

This is going in the absurd thread.

Last edited by 4W-Jive; 05-23-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
Credibility; gone. This is going in the absurd thread.
I think he was responding to the statement that the JKU has a wider track width.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stretched 2 door for the win....
Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
Stretched 2 door for the win....
agreed
Old 05-23-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive

Credibility; gone.

This is going in the absurd thread.
Yours is yes I agree. U show me any where a stock jku has a wider track width than a jk!!! Perhaps you thought I said length and not width or perhaps u don't know the difference but coming as me and trying to say I'm stupid or something and in return u looked that way
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

Yours is yes I agree. U show me any where a stock jku has a wider track width than a jk!!! Perhaps you thought I said length and not width or perhaps u don't know the difference but coming as me and trying to say I'm stupid or something and in return u looked that way
Pretty sure 4W-Jive was agreeing with you. He could have been more clear. And polite.

Quick Reply: 2 door vs 4 door offroading