Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2 door JK or 4 door JK ?????

Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKlad
The main reason they added the 4-door to the Wrangler line-up was to offer more room for occupants and luggage and easier access to the rear. The main compromise though is in on-road performance (the 4-door is bigger & heavier and many with automatics find them underpowered with the 3.8 V6 at highway speeds and quite thirsty on the gas) and reduced off-road manouverability on tight trails.

I personally got the 2-door because to me a "Jeep" is a short wheelbase convertible 2-door off-roader; If I wanted a large 4-door 4X4 then there are many others besides the Unlimited to choose from. I use mine as a daily driver around the suburbs where I love it's manouverability on narrow streets & alleys and it's ability to fit in small hatchback-sized parking spaces, but have also taken it on long (2000mile+) trips and camped out of it for weeks at a time (rear seat removed of course to fit all my gear in).

My stock 2-door 6-speed returns 24-26 MPG combined and 28 MPG on the highway, so it uses less gas than my pervious 6 cylinder sedans did, and even though running 3.21 gears has plenty of performance thanks to the extra ratios of the 6-speed and it's lighter weight.
hold up... 28mpg??? You do know it is miles / gallons = mpg... right?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
x2
i have a 2dr, drive it like a grandma on the street and get 16.8mpg MAX......... i dont think he's to good at da maf
Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Yep, thats correct. And though I'm in a metric country, I do know how to use a calculator and I grew up using MPG and other imperial measurements anyway as we only switched to metric here in the mid 70s (to this day, most people here will know their height in feet & inches but their weight in kilograms, wierd). I converted the figures so they mean more to the majority of people here who are in the US than saying, for example "I get 9L/100km & 650km to the tank and cruise at 105km/h at an average 80m above sea level".

Mind you, they're real world figures for highway (my readout on the dash says 30-31MPG but the computer is notoriously innaccurate, so I reset my tripmeter at fill-up & calculate that way) and by highway I mean reasonably flat and straight country roads and freeways roads near sea level & 55-65MPH. I know as soon as you go above 70-75MPH the drag really starts to affect mileage, as does climbing hills/mountains at operating at higher altitudes. On a 3000mile round trip I did a while back I averaged 24MPG onroad for the trip; Jeep was fully loaded with jerry cans and camping equipment and included a fair amount of hilly terrain and 70-80MPH for periods . I also use premium (mid-octane) unleaded, as the JK pings & rattles like a tin can full of marbles under even the lightest load if I use regular unleaded & gets noticably worse mileage as well. Many threads here have discussed how though Chrysler specifies low octane unleaded, in reality these motors do better on higher octane stuff.

As I said, mine's a stock 2-door 6 speed with 3.21s and the Rubi spec wheels & tires (255/75R17 Goodyear SA A/Ts) and I run the tires at 40psi on the road specifically to improve my mileage; trust me, it makes a huge difference over running them at 28-30psi. So though I may suffer in performance in other areas compared with diffs fitted with the lower 3.73s & 4.10s (ie crawl ratios, accelleration), economy is where I win with the 3.21s, particularly with the lighter 2-door & 6-speed.

I also have a hardtop. There has been discussion here & on other forums that though the soft-top is lighter it is less aerodynamic that the HT & thus creates noticably more drag at highway speeds (something to do with the bump the soft-top frame creates in the roof, causing dips in the canvas?)

If I completely thrash the guts out of it in city driving & drive it like I stole it yeah, I'll get 15MPG too. Week in, week out I get 400miles out of a tank doing my daily commute (30% city, 70% highway).

Last edited by JKlad; 09-30-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

We have a 4dr sport automatic since it's the old lady's primary daily driver. If it was for me, and we didn't have a little one on the way, I'd have a 2dr Rubicon 6spd.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKlad
Yep, thats correct. And though I'm in a metric country, I do know how to use a calculator and I grew up using MPG and other imperial measurements anyway as we only switched to metric here in the mid 70s (to this day, most people here will know their height in feet & inches but their weight in kilograms, wierd). I converted the figures so they mean more to the majority of people here who are in the US than saying, for example "I get 9L/100km & 650km to the tank and cruise at 105km/h at an average 80m above sea level".

Mind you, they're real world figures for highway (my readout on the dash says 30-31MPG but the computer is notoriously innaccurate, so I reset my tripmeter at fill-up & calculate that way) and by highway I mean reasonably flat and straight country roads and freeways roads near sea level & 55-65MPH. I know as soon as you go above 70-75MPH the drag really starts to affect mileage, as does climbing hills/mountains at operating at higher altitudes. On a 3000mile round trip I did a while back I averaged 24MPG onroad for the trip; Jeep was fully loaded with jerry cans and camping equipment and included a fair amount of hilly terrain and 70-80MPH for periods . I also use premium (mid-octane) unleaded, as the JK pings & rattles like a tin can full of marbles under even the lightest load if I use regular unleaded & gets noticably worse mileage as well. Many threads here have discussed how though Chrysler specifies low octane unleaded, in reality these motors do better on higher octane stuff.

As I said, mine's a stock 2-door 6 speed with 3.21s and the Rubi spec wheels & tires (255/75R17 Goodyear SA A/Ts) and I run the tires at 40psi on the road specifically to improve my mileage; trust me, it makes a huge difference over running them at 28-30psi. So though I may suffer in performance in other areas compared with diffs fitted with the lower 3.73s & 4.10s (ie crawl ratios, accelleration), economy is where I win with the 3.21s, particularly with the lighter 2-door & 6-speed.

I also have a hardtop. There has been discussion here & on other forums that though the soft-top is lighter it is less aerodynamic that the HT & thus creates noticably more drag at highway speeds (something to do with the bump the soft-top frame creates in the roof, causing dips in the canvas?)

If I completely thrash the guts out of it in city driving & drive it like I stole it yeah, I'll get 15MPG too. Week in, week out I get 400miles out of a tank doing my daily commute (30% city, 70% highway).
I was j/k about the math. You have a secret to it or something? That is like twice what I get.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've got a 2 door rubi and love it, only time i regret not having a 4 door is when i want to go somewhere with more than one friend.

and what's this about 28-31 mpg? BS.
on chrysler's sticker they only rate it 15-19. no way you are getting that good unless it's a diesel. i drive mine like a granny on road trips and max i've gotten is 16.5 (17.4 on the readout). I'm at sea level as well. even when i run high octane (which i did try) fuel economy only increased like .5 mpg.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D0ppleganger
i've got a 2 door rubi and love it, only time i regret not having a 4 door is when i want to go somewhere with more than one friend.

and what's this about 28-31 mpg? BS.
on chrysler's sticker they only rate it 15-19. no way you are getting that good unless it's a diesel. i drive mine like a granny on road trips and max i've gotten is 16.5 (17.4 on the readout). I'm at sea level as well. even when i run high octane (which i did try) fuel economy only increased like .5 mpg.
Maybe you didn't read my previous post where I said my real world highway MPG (calculated) topped at 28; as I said, the computer read 30-31 but these figures were wrong as the computer is notoriously innaccurate, 28 being the real figure. Also I'll state again that I drive a stock Sport (similar to the US Sahara) with 3.21 Ratios, NOT the Rubicon with 4.10 diff ratios as yourself and some others who disbelieve me drive.

The taller ratios really do make quite a difference to on-road fuel economy, particularly on the highway; at 70MPH my motor isn't even spinning at 2000RPM, so obviously it is burning less fuel than a Rubicon with 4.10s does at the same speed as the Rubi motor is working harder (ie: revving faster) & doing 2800RPM to achieve the same speed with the lower 4.10 ratios.

The pic below is the sticker that came on my JK. The figure of 11.5 Litres per 100KM is equivalent to 20.7 MPG (US) and this is the combined city-highway figure quoted, not pure city or pure highway (I don't know what figures are on the stickers for US-sold JKs), so just by looking at this 20.7 MPG figure alone you can see that MPG pure-highway consumption figures in the mid 20's are to be expected when you take the city figures (which are about 17-18MPG) out of the calculation.

And with a fully loaded JK on a hilly highway with speeds between 60-80MPH the whole way, as I stated earlier, that's exactly what I averaged on a long trip; 24MPG. The 26-28 MPG figure I have also regularly achieved is at slightly lower speeds under 65MPH, unloaded, on fairly flat highways and tires inflated to 40psi.

The Rubicon's lower diff ratio, combined with the lower low-range ratio in the transfer case, really kicks ass offroad and combined with the front & rear axel lockers & front swaybar disconnects makes the Rubi an excellent rock-crawler and the best "out of the box" offroader available. However the trade-off is that onroad they use more fuel than stock Xs & Saharas with the 3.21s; fact of life.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0272..jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	91999  

Last edited by JKlad; 10-13-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2 door JK or 4 door JK ?????

I would defiantly go 2 DR... That's what I have and the only thing I don't like about it is the little baby tires on it (I have an x)... But since you're getting a rubi then you don't have to worry about that, and also like stated earlier those things already look sexy, and with just slightly bigger tires and lift it'll look even greater and perform awesome off road.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D0ppleganger
..and what's this about 28-31 mpg? BS.
I'm guessing he's referring to imperial gallons not US gallons.

2 door, 4 door - I'd like one of each . But if I had to pick just one, I'd go for the 4 door.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Default 2 door JK or 4 door JK ?????

4 door here. Love it soooooo much

Quick Reply: 2 door JK or 4 door JK ?????