Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2.8 Diesel

Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8 Diesel

hey anyone haave any comments on the diesel engine. how does it perform off road etc etc
Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

You might think of posting this in JK Talk. This section is more for issues with the stock parts of the JK.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Oh sry about that
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yann-5394
hey anyone haave any comments on the diesel engine. how does it perform off road etc etc
Yeah, we have them where I am (Australia) so I guess I can talk about it here as for me it's a stock motor.

They are very popular here, particularly with the heavier 4-door Unlimited and would be even more so if they were available in Rubicons (available only in 2-door & Unlimited Sports, probably because the CRD is a 5 grand option as it is, so in Rubi spec would probably cost just too much to remain competitive with its rivals).

The motor is an Italian built 2.8L I4 CRD with variable geometry turbo and particulate filter (on the '11s) and comes with a 5-speed auto box or the 6-speed manual. As the motor is extremely torquey it has a reputation of chewing up the OEM clutches so Chrysler actually de-tunes the motor to 410Nm (302 Ft/Pds) of torque for the manual, while the auto is chipped to put out a healthy 460Nm (339 Ft/Pds); power outputs remain the same for both.

It's not the smoothest, quietest CRD on the market but it's well built & dependable and as I said before, extremely torquey for it's displacement compared with some other CDRs of similar capacity out there; the only issue with it seems to be that the OEM turbo pipes are of poor quality & have been known to let go, however many owners replace them with quality aftermarket alloy ones that are available for a few hundred bucks. The only question mark with the new 11's that are due soon concerns the standard diff ratios.

At the moment the autos come with 3.73s & the non-tow pack 6-speeds with 3.21s but apparently the '11s are coming out with 3.21s for the autos as well? I guess the combination of the extra ratio in the 5 speed auto and the CRD's extra low down torque won't mean as much difference as 3.21 ratios on the gasoline V6 would, but still many are asking why Chrysler would do this as mileage isn't a concern (the CRD uses around 30% less fuel than the gas V6). Anyway I guess we'll just have to wait & see when they finally get here (as usual there's a wait on the CDRs; when I was buying my JK back in late '08 the waiting time was 6 months, so I ended up going with the V6 for my 2-door as they had plenty of them on the lot.

Last edited by JKlad; 01-23-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's completley nuts they don't offer the diesel in America, that's what I really wanted. I'll probably do a diesel conversion once I'm out of warranty. I wonder if I could just buy one and have it shipped this way?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rusman161
It's completley nuts they don't offer the diesel in America, that's what I really wanted. I'll probably do a diesel conversion once I'm out of warranty. I wonder if I could just buy one and have it shipped this way?
Yeah, apparantly they don't pass California's strict emmisions rules so the rest of North America has to miss out as well? The '11s here now come with a big new particulate filter so they'll pass the strict new Euro emmissions standards so I'm sure they could make them comply with California's standards if they wanted to.

I suspect that as the Wrangler market in the US is seen as "mature" they figure people will buy them anyway regardless of the powerplant. However as Chrysler is trying to grow the Jeep brand in their foreign markets (and doing quite well too) they are going the extra mile by offering the CDR since pretty much every 4X4 pickup, SUV, soft roader and even road car & small hatchback has a diesel option in their model lineup these days in Europe & even here is Australia so Chrysler didn't want to be the odd man out.

Last edited by JKlad; 01-24-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yann-5394
Read the post #19 of my friend Brice de Nice

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...47#post2048847

Quick Reply: 2.8 Diesel