Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

1st Oil Change

Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ejfernet
Royal Purple and a Wix filter every 3,000 miles. Probably overkill but my dad was religious about oil changes and engines lasted forever. So, I blame my obsessive habits him.
Ditto, all the way down to the oil filter
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhol111964
I went back and looked for it, but couldn't find the thread. I'm pretty sure I saw it blamed twice, and used as justification for staying with the 5W20. At anyrate, I believe you, and was skeptical that they would monitor oil quality anyway. Back to the thread at hand.
I am curious, if you do find it, please post it. I'll look again, too. All I can think of would be the increased pressure, because that would happen as a (conventional) oil aged and thickened (think sludge). That would happen to any "used-up" oil.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oil change message comes on at exactly 2500 miles. I change it within 3-4 days of the light coming on so it always changed out with less than 3000 miles. I use penzoil 5w-20 and and k&n filter. Cheap insurance. I like to change it. Gives me something to do that doenst involve my desk, talking on the phone or making court appearances. When you are a white collar woker, blue collar tasks are very valuable to keep your sanity.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jhol111964
I went back and looked for it, but couldn't find the thread. I'm pretty sure I saw it blamed twice, and used as justification for staying with the 5W20. At anyrate, I believe you, and was skeptical that they would monitor oil quality anyway. Back to the thread at hand.
What I've read is that the new VVT Hemis must be run with the specified weight of oil otherwise the motor will throw codes, so they must have some kind of viscocity monitoring on those motors, & possibly the new VVT Pentastar V6 will have the same I assume.

I think (but I may be wrong) that the SM 2.8L CRD motors that are offered as an option on Wranglers sold outside the US have such a system (due to emmissions regulations & to stop the Diesel Particulate Filter from clogging up a very specific weight of 0W40 oil with low ash content is specified), however as far as I know (& I've read up on the JK's 3.8L V6 a fair bit) the JK's current gasoline motor certainly doesn't have such a system at present.

As for anything other than 5W20 being bad for the motor; Chrysler specifies 5W30 as the alternative fill for markets outside of the US as oil as thin as 5W20 isn't commonly available (this low viscocity oil is only specified in the US so automakers there can meet their CAFE mileage targets). And in addition the dealers where I am use 10W30 as their service fill with the full endorsement of Chrysler.

Last edited by JKlad; 07-29-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealership called(automated) me last Saturday and said it was time for my scheduled maint. Appointment scheduled for this Saturday (tomorrow) at 8:00am. I've gotten at least 3 reminder emails this week. As of tomorrow I will have had the Jeep for 4 weeks. Brand new JKU. I've put about 1500miles on it already and from the posts I've seen was going to go in for an early oil change anyway. Are they just being proactive? I've got free oil changes for the first year from the dealership so no complaints from me.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am over 51K miles and have yet to see an oil light come on. I do lots of city driving, long drives on interstates and back roads too. Have never reset the oil light either and use Motorcraft filters.

I did just ordered the oil pressure sender from AeroForce to add to my gauge. A T-fitting must be added to the OEM oil pressure switch to add the pressure sender. The JK OEM pressure switch goes on below 5 psi I think.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Patchules
I am over 51K miles and have yet to see an oil light come on......
If I remember correctly, some of the early '07s don't have the oil monitor software.

Can anyone confirm that?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
If I remember correctly, some of the early '07s don't have the oil monitor software.

Can anyone confirm that?
I know that the oil change message on my MY'09 (Sept '08 build) is not based on duty cycle but purely on mileage; it goes off at exactly every 12K km (7450mi), which is the service interval where I am, regardless of driving style. Maybe this is just for export models though as I'm pretty sure the US MY '09s system is duty-cycle based.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

I've been changing mine every 5000km. I should get my 3rd in about 2 weeks.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

I have 4140 km, on my 201 have an appointment Next Tuesday to have first oil change, and tighten e brake, and a few computer hook changes that I could have done myself If I got the U connect option.

I want to do the oil change myself but am afraid the warranty will be voided.

I think I read the first oil change is at 5000 km,

Quick Reply: 1st Oil Change