Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

1st Oil Change

Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its based on your driving. The ecm can see what RPMs you spend your time at, how fast you drive, the engine temps, driving time, idle time, and such.

If your wife's goes off at 2500 miles, she either has a short commute or she is abusing the jeep.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCruz
Its based on your driving. The ecm can see what RPMs you spend your time at, how fast you drive, the engine temps, driving time, idle time, and such....
Correct. There is a proprietary algorithm that measured many parameters, those above plus more, such as ambient temperature, time at operating temp, number of (cold) starts, fuel mix, etc.

No physical measurements of the oil are made nor is the quality or type of oil taken into consideration. And there is likely a considerable margin of error built in. So if you are using a high quality synthetic you can likely easily go another 15-25% or even more over the warning. But why bother.

And it isn't likely that the oil itself is "worn out", it is the additive packs in the oil that get used up.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default DIY Oil Change Warranty Implications?

I am in the same boat. At about 1,900 miles wondering when I should be changing out the factory lube.

Was thinking about doing it myself but was wondering what the warranty implications are by doing oil changes at home if anything were to ever happen to my engine. Anyone had any experience with this?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EpicCosmo
I am in the same boat. At about 1,900 miles wondering when I should be changing out the factory lube.

Was thinking about doing it myself but was wondering what the warranty implications are by doing oil changes at home if anything were to ever happen to my engine. Anyone had any experience with this?
All you are required to do is Keep the receipt and write the mileage on it when you do the oil change. Thats all the proof they need.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas44k
i just got my second oil change at about 7,300 miles. I just passed 7,777 (it was awesome) and now my change oil light bings at me when i get in my jeep. Anybody have this happen?
Did you make sure to reset the notification system when you changed the oil at 7,300 kms? Check the oil levels? any leaks?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas44k
i just got my second oil change at about 7,300 miles. I just passed 7,777 (it was awesome) and now my change oil light bings at me when i get in my jeep. Anybody have this happen?
You need to reset the warning.

1. Turn key to On, but don't start.
2. Wait until all lights are off, then depress gas pedal 3 times
3. Turn key off.

I took mine in yesterday, for the first oil change and I was at 4,000. The tech stated I could wait until 6,000 which is in the manual, but I'm a little leery for whatever reason.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noxian
All you are required to do is Keep the receipt and write the mileage on it when you do the oil change. Thats all the proof they need.
That seems pretty easy and straight forward. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Correct. There is a proprietary algorithm that measured many parameters, those above plus more, such as ambient temperature, time at operating temp, number of (cold) starts, fuel mix, etc.

No physical measurements of the oil are made nor is the quality or type of oil taken into consideration. And there is likely a considerable margin of error built in. So if you are using a high quality synthetic you can likely easily go another 15-25% or even more over the warning. But why bother.

And it isn't likely that the oil itself is "worn out", it is the additive packs in the oil that get used up.
Correlation of driving, speed, rpms, temps, etc., and a predictive algorithm wouldn't explain the premature warning lights with higher viscosities, like 10W30? If changing oil weight accelerates the warning light, we'd have to assume its also monitoring some quality of the oil - static pressure, viscosity, light permeability, - something right?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Correlation of driving, speed, rpms, temps, etc., and a predictive algorithm wouldn't explain the premature warning lights with higher viscosities, like 10W30? If changing oil weight accelerates the warning light, we'd have to assume its also monitoring some quality of the oil - static pressure, viscosity, light permeability, - something right?
who says 10W30 gives a premature warning? I haven't seen that claim by anyone yet and I pay pretty close attention to the oil threads.

For that matter, by definition, there is no "premature" warning. Unless there is a malfunction.

The OCI can't tell what kind of oil is in there. There are no special measurement made by the computer other than the standard, temp, pressure, fuel trim, etc. there are no special sensors, it would be too complicated to keep calibrated.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
who says 10W30 gives a premature warning? I haven't seen that claim by anyone yet and I pay pretty close attention to the oil threads.
I went back and looked for it, but couldn't find the thread. I'm pretty sure I saw it blamed twice, and used as justification for staying with the 5W20. At anyrate, I believe you, and was skeptical that they would monitor oil quality anyway. Back to the thread at hand.

Quick Reply: 1st Oil Change