Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

180 vs 195 DEGREE THERMOSTATE PRO'S & CON'S

Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 180 vs 195 DEGREE THERMOSTATE PRO'S & CON'S

I have to put on a new waterpump on the 07 Rubi, the OEM is leaking really bad. As preventative maintenance I will replace the thermostat. Living in Texas where it is mostly warmer climate would it be to my advantage to go with a 180 degree to help with heat reduction under the hood? The parts books say 195 degree, anyone done this yet????

Thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

The sensors that monitor various engine functions like fuel mixture, etc operate based on the higher engine temp. Shift points, fuel mixture, timing, and other parameters come into play when engine temps are under the factory set temps, and will ultimately affect the performance, or lack of in the case of JKs, and fuel consumption. If you have an overhearing problem, fix it, but I wouldn't change operating temps based on how hot it feels under the hood. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Thanks JKRVEE you make a very valid point with your 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What JKRVEE states is true.
Putting a 180* T-stat will not lower the operating temperature. It will only take a bit longer to get to the normal operating temperature of the engine.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
kik
JK Freak

Stick with oem specs on thermostats. Too many variables. It's not like the old days.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdk
I have to put on a new waterpump on the 07 Rubi, the OEM is leaking really bad. As preventative maintenance I will replace the thermostat. Living in Texas where it is mostly warmer climate would it be to my advantage to go with a 180 degree to help with heat reduction under the hood? The parts books say 195 degree, anyone done this yet????

Thanks in advance
But keep in mind that during the winter month you should put back the 195*F. If not your gas mileage will go Down.

I have the 180*F and I'm using the Superchip to control the Fan to come on at Low speed 200*f and High speed at 205*F.
I'm in South Florida the winters are not that cold so the 180* T works great for me.

Pro: Lower Temp is better for the engine. (within working parameters)
Con: During the winter ( if realy low temp you should swith to the 195*F T).

If you do not have a Superchip or other programmer, to control the electric Fan, you are only starting the cooling cycle earlier but not really getting all the benefits.

Last edited by Tuto; 08-16-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 180 vs 195 DEGREE THERMOSTATE PRO'S & CON'S