Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

15W40 Heaven!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 10w-30 and it's fine. I feel like 15w-40 would be too thick of an oil
Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

i went 10w 30 synthetic last oil change and it's running great
Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just changed mine to 10w 30 and I can already notice a big difference. Thanks for this thread
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went with Rotella T6 5W-40 on my last change (17K miles).
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SKULL_FACE
I use to have a Nissan Xterra, everytime I changed the oil, the engine was much responsive. a month later not even 500 miles after the oil and filter change, the performance went down. I have not noticed this on our Wranglers' but it does exists on some vehicles. Later I learned from a Nissan Mechanic that the engine I had in the Xterra , was a high Compression engine that broke down the oil very quickly. The new oil would be jet black within a month. Did not keep it long enough to say if it had issues later on. Should have switched to a quality synthetic oil.

I myself am switching from 5w-20 to 5w-30 weight. Currently using Mobil 1 Advanced Synthetic oil and a Napa Gold Oil Filter made by WIX, since switching to a Synthetic oil 8 months ago, I have seen a major difference on how my engine sounds better , longer time before dry starts,etc.

I do have one question though,, What is the true meaning of the first number ex: 5w labeled on motor oil. I thought it was the weight of the oil's viscosity referred to when the engine is first started, then the last 2 digits meant "IE: 20 or 30" took over when the oil is warmed up form idiling and now is reaching the higher end of the oil's operating characteristics under varying conditions,, temperature, towing, long idle, large hills, etc. Is this correct in a non technical way? lol.

Thanks,
*** SKULL_FACE ***
If this works here is a quick drawiing I made to explain the relationship between a 30 weight, a 5 weight and a 5W-30 - here's hoping I can attach
Click image for larger version

Name:	Visc quick explain.png
Views:	371
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	324258

All oil thins out as temperature rises, some thins less than others so a 5W-30 is still thinner at 100C (212F) than it was cold, it just doesn't thin as much as a 5 weight does so at the higher temperature it is as good as a 30 weight oil - the real beauty is with the higher operating temperatures on the engines today the 5W-30 is BETTER than the 30W at temperatures above 100C and still allows easier starting when cold.

Last edited by zstairlessone; 06-01-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone

the real beauty is with the higher operating temperatures on the engines today the 5W-30 is BETTER than the 30W at temperatures above 100C and still allows easier starting when cold.
Are you assuming that the oil thins in a linear way and continues to do so after 100° or is that fact?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EzK
Are you assuming that the oil thins in a linear way and continues to do so after 100° or is that fact?
The change in viscosity isn't quite linear and becomes less so as temperature range (low to high) that you look at gets wider. they will however continue in the basic form beyond 100C. The reason it isn't tested for is most oils start breaking down as temperature goes up and oil failure becomes the concern (the reason we use coolers). For all the 'multi-grade' oils I have seen the viscosity index is fairly constant and they show less degradation as temp goes higher than the single grades do. Synthetic oils have a much flatter line than non-synthetic oils do - the concern is if viscosity improvers are added to increase the VI (making the line flatter) as these can be sheared and the oil will not provide the protection needed. The long spiral chain molecules that 'relax' as temperature rises (giving the viscosity improvement) are prone to being torn apart under certain types of shear and abuse and the user isn't aware of the change in the quality of the oil. This is especially bad in a worm gear application like a differential.

Oh the 100C the C is centigrade which is the same as 212 F
Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running 5w30 for some time now and still add a quart every thousand miles or so. I'm upping to 10w30 on my next oil change which is soon.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

So it will start cold with the oil at the thickest of the thin oil and at temp it will be the thinnest of the thick oil yea?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bushmaster
So it will start cold with the oil at the thickest of the thin oil and at temp it will be the thinnest of the thick oil yea?
Yeah man. Think of it like syrup. When you take syrup out of the refrigerator it's thick. If you heat it up in the microwave it thins out.

Quick Reply: 15W40 Heaven!