Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

15W40 Heaven!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lady time I was on those forums they seemed to pimp pennzoil platinum, I'd that still the case? Are a bunch if them running diesel oils now?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=TINMAN080;3158737]I've used Pennzoil 10W30 exclusively since 1988. Nothing else. Chevy's, Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Jeeps. NO issues, no clattering, no oil consumpsion at all.

Amen brother. My Dad used 10W30 in everything and thats how I grew up. Didnt need to know about anything else. Wintertime run this, summertime run this, Ive had 10W30 in all my vehicles year round and nothing Ive ever owned used oil.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
The lady time I was on those forums they seemed to pimp pennzoil platinum, I'd that still the case? Are a bunch if them running diesel oils now?
I'm not really sure as I haven't been there in awhile. IIRC, Pennzoil Ultra is the new big thing in the Pennzoil brand. I forget where I got the idea to try a diesel oil, but I think it was there, though I wouldn't say a bunch of people were running diesel oil. I think it's not subject to the same regulations as gasoline oil, which typically favor eco friendliness over engine longevity. The cavet to diesel oil though is that it's not good for your cat converters, so if your burning oil, you don't want to run it. Mine doesn't burn any, and the wear readings were the best yet, so I'm not worried about it.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Well there are alot of engines out there without cats, like my John Deere tractor, my friends BBC El Camino. The zinc and phosphorus in the diesel oil is essential to flat tappet engines. The 3.8L could probably do without but the old 4.0L owners should take note. I kinda wonder if the diesel oil might prevent your 3.8 from becoming an oil burner, kinda like the chicken before the egg. So I'm using 5w40 Mobil 1 in the tractor, 16xx hours and still running strong.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Dronac
I didn't do a control with 5w-20, though there is a noticeable decrease in engine noise with 5w-30. Plus, I did a run of 5w-40 and all wear metals were down below the 5w-30 wear levels (Rotella 5w-40 diesel oil compared to Royal Purple 5w-30 and Penzzoil Platinum 5w-30).

In this picture, the current (leftmost) numbers are from Rotella 5w-40 Diesel oil. The next two are Royal Purple 5w-30, and the last is Penzzoil Platinum 5w-30
Thanks for posting the oil analysis
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Thanks for posting the oil analysis
NP! I make sure to post every sample I take, though they tend to get buried in threads fairly quickly. Now that I think about it, I should probably make my own thread with all of the ones I have gotten done. Hopefully it can help others pick a good oil to increase engine life.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Love this thread I have always ran 10w-30 in all my engines an plan on runnin it in my pentastar
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
Dude. That makes no sense. LMAO
Ok, explain what you mean. What are you basing your comment on? My response is based on being a dealership tech for 17 yrs, being an ASE master technician and teaching classes for Ford the last 10 years one of those classes being Engine diagnosis and repair.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Manual says 5W20

I was overseas for a year and I came back and found that I was using synthetic royal purple 5W30 and my jeep is a 2007 @ 85,000 miles. It has never used a drop of oil, from oil change to oil change. I usually do my oil change every 3,500 miles. It runs perfectly fine. About 2 weeks ago I upgraded my tires to 35's so I hope it stays the same. I'm running 410 gears and it seems like I might need to re-gear due to shifting down around 65 MPH (Yes it's an Auto) I know I deviated from the subject. Thank you guys for all your in put.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Our 08 Sahara had the cold rattle, when new, on cool or cold mornings...using the wix/NAPA Gold Filter and Mobil 1 5w-30 solved that, and at 55k on the clock, uses no oil between changes, which is on every 5k mark on the odometer.

Consumer Reports did an oil study about a decade ago, using a fleet of NYC taxi's and found that almost any oil with the API certifications did well. They questioned the use of "super premium" oils like Mobil 1, but did not investigate cold climate/cold start conditions.

I have been using Mobil 1 on vehicles purchased new for the last 20 years or so and have yet to have to rebuild an engine due to mechanical wear issues...and on my vintage vehicles, I use Rotella 15w-40 with good results. The high detergent present in these oils works well for the low use rate on these vehicles.

The motorcycles get special motorcycle oil at a premium price.

Howard

Quick Reply: 15W40 Heaven!