Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

'13 Soft top back panel question

Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '13 Soft top back panel question

Evening folks,
I had an '07 JK, and never had problems with getting the top folded down, and into a Storage Boot, for a nice seamless look when the top was down. However, as many of you know, they changed the tops on the '10-'13's. In the manual, it says to remove the back panels of the soft top, when folding. I can't seem to figure out how I am supposed to do this on the '13.

On the '07, the white plastic "fins" as we called them, would come out, and allow the panels, to be easily folded into/under the folded top, when it came down. However, the back panels are different on the '13, and have (from what we can tell), the white plastic "fins" stitched into the top. Is there some sort of mystery flap that we are just not finding, to get these plastic panels out? The problem that we are having is that, when we fold the top down, the ridged plastic only allows for the panels, to be placed at a diagonal when the top comes down. I have a Tuffy Security Deck in the back, and they lay on top of it. I can't get these "arms/panels" to fold into the top like I did with the '07, to get the storage boot onto it for a smooth look.

Like I said, am I missing something on how to get the plastic out of the corners of the tops back panels?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jerseyjeepgurl
Evening folks,
. In the manual, it says to remove the back panels of the soft top, when folding. I can't seem to figure out how I am supposed to do this on the '13.

On the '07, the white plastic "fins" as we called them, would come out, and allow the panels, to be easily folded into/under the folded top, when it came down. However, the back panels are different on the '13, and have (from what we can tell), the white plastic "fins" stitched into the top. Is there some sort of mystery flap that we are just not finding, to get these plastic panels out? The problem that we are having is that, when we fold the top down, the ridged plastic only allows for the panels, to be placed at a diagonal when the top comes down. I have a Tuffy Security Deck in the back, and they lay on top of it. I can't get these "arms/panels" to fold into the top like I did with the '07, to get the storage boot onto it for a smooth look.

Like I said, am I missing something on how to get the plastic out of the corners of the tops back panels?

Thanks!
Found these on YouTube. I think these will help answer your questions.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNcB7lu-qM http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGgNc5b5Kh4
Old 05-04-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it just me, or did he totally fold the top incorrectly when he flipped the roof back? If he folded it correctly it wouldn't have rested on the roll bar tubes in the back and it would have sat much lower in front of the spare tire.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Default Thanks Sporadic,,,but,,,

They both seem to have the plastic inserts taken out of the back flaps (in the first one, it looks like they are in when he releases the back panel, but when it's placed onto the top, it looks sort of floppy,,not like mine,,, these things will slap you in the face, when trying to place it onto the top corner like he is doing) - on the '07 they [the inserts] came right out (as did the ones on my husbands TJ), but on the '13, they are or seem to be, actually sewn into the flap, and remain almost too rigid to fold up onto the corners as shown,,,I can get the top down, but I just can't get the corners into the "incorporated folded top" after or before it's folded, as the plastic inserts will not allow for it. I was just hoping that I could get some input from another '13 owner that may have run into the same problem, that we are having. I appreciate your help though!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Folds wrong in the first and second video doesn't show it well you should not have any top fabric on your rollbar.

Watch this video it is old school but if you fold the top in this manner it sits right.

http://youtu.be/_Xuo5rdEX48
Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 13 won't fit in the bag, the rear flaps have to be folded into the last fold, mu e sits a lot flatter than this one, I don't think this guy has the front folds correct but it does show at the end what to do with the rear flaps.

http://youtu.be/mSWRIoTX89o
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Pictures? I don't recall any white plastic on my 09 soft top or have any on my current 2012 soft top. I trust you are referring to the 'back panel' as the column of fabric between the back window and a side window and not the side window itself?
In the fabric column in the rear corners I have white seam tape on 2 vertical strips, but nothing is a rigid plastic. So a photo would be helpful.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Phantasm
Pictures? I don't recall any white plastic on my 09 soft top or have any on my current 2012 soft top. I trust you are referring to the 'back panel' as the column of fabric between the back window and a side window and not the side window itself?
In the fabric column in the rear corners I have white seam tape on 2 vertical strips, but nothing is a rigid plastic. So a photo would be helpful.
On the older tops that column of material has a rigid plastic stiffener in it. Some folks remove the stiffener to fold the roof up more compact. The top end of the pocket the stiffener is in is not sewn shut so it can be removed. If you do not have the stiffeners it's possible someone has removed them previously.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

I didn't realize that the OP has a JK not a JKU. THe stiffener is probably a minor design difference in the two styles. I did see in that last video how stiff those back corners are. Mine can just roll up. In fact I don't even remove them from the body, just let them compress on each other and then they are back in place when I put the top up. I also don't remove the rear window, just roll it up and put the top down with it installed. My window is scratched to hell, but It saves a ton of time putting it back up especially on those unexpected rain storms in NC.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

From any videos that I've seen, those rear corner pieces fold up onto the top of the soft top before the entire top is folded back. This sandwiches them between the other layers of the soft top fabric... unless I'm reading the question wrong...

Quick Reply: '13 Soft top back panel question