Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

12v defroster

Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the little 12V defroster i picked up a few years ago. As you can see it is pretty small, but effective. I used to have a similar problem in my bronco with the windshield not defrosting all the way. I wasnt worried about a clean looking install so i just used some velcro to hold it in place and pointed towards where i wanted.

With the handle out

hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuba
Now that it's cold out again, im getting fog on my windshield. When I put the air on the windshield it disappears quickly all over except in one spot; the air does not reach the lower driver-side of the windshield. This is really annoying since it is difficult to see. Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix for it?
I noticed the same fogging when we had a snowstorm a while back. Cold snow/ice on the outside of the window combined with heat on the inside and moisture (from your breath, etc.) means you've got fog whereever the snow stays in contact...

I think the Jeep defrost does a pretty good job of keeping the center of the windshield clear of it, but I easily lose 1 to 3 inches of visibility in the corners (vertically out from the pillars) even with it pumping out full. Which absolutely sucks.

What you can try is... Lay your mitts over the passenger side of the windshield defrost vent. It'll block the airflow to the passenger side of the window and force more air to come to the driver's side of the window... It may or may not get to the spot you're talking about, but it might.

If you have a 4 door, lower your rear windows a sliver to help suck out the humidity too. (Don't forget to do them back up)

I haven't tried it because I didn't have my mitts on me last time and we haven't had the humidity in the air for the fogging conditions. Worked on mostly every other car I've driven in the past though ( including my TJ )

(That anti-fog stuff is crap. Use a bar of Ivory soap... Slightly wet a washcloth and get it good and soapy. You want the cloth damp, not dripping wet. Then soap it on the inside of the glass. Let it dry then wipe it off the residue it leaves behind with a clean dry washcloth. The soap film will keep it from fogging pretty well. Try it on a mirror in your bathroom then have a good hot shower if your don't believe me... )
Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another simple thing you can do to help hold the defroster heat on the windshield is simply put your sun visors down. You will be surprised how much that helps hold the heat in place on the glass.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan

If you have a 4 door, lower your rear windows a sliver to help suck out the humidity too. (Don't forget to do them back up)
Ever since I got my first car, I almost always have my driver's side window open just a crack. Like you said, it helps with the humidity, plus, at least in my old car back then, you could hear the heater blowing stronger with the window open a bit compared to when it was closed...presumably because of the air pressure difference.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I picked up a 12v computer fan and installed it to move more air to the lower corner of the windshield. Haven't had the weather to check it out yet -- it's been cold 7 dry so far this winter!

SV

Quick Reply: 12v defroster