Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

12 volt dc sockets suck

Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 volt dc sockets suck

Aanybody else have problems with their dc plugs.....? The ciggarete lighter stopped workin a long time ago. Anytime I plug a cell phone charger or gps chrgrr in, I have to mess with them for a while to make a connection. Has anybody upgraded their plugs to something heavier duty. Maybe its a rare case but I expect somebody has had the same issue. Thanks for any input
Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just blew the fuse in mine running an air compressor.

Filled all 4 from 20 to 30... died exactly as the 4th one hit 30. lol

I bought an accessory plug withbig gator clips to run it in teh future until I get around to wire up something better.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

i dont run anything but chargers and its like pulling teeth just getting them to make a good connection. never had a fuse problem. nobody else has issues with these?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read here before a while back that people were replacing them with heavier-duty ones sourced from auto-parts stores for like 10 bucks a piece since they were breaking and shorting out causing blown fuses; pics were posted of the OEM units removed from the dash and they were cheaply built & prone to breakage due to their design. I think the threads may have been in the JK Electrical section.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

I'll take a look around. Im deffinately going to replace them with something

Quick Reply: 12 volt dc sockets suck