Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

1011 miles and i found two leaks already...

Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1011 miles and i found two leaks already...

now i thought I'd buy an American car to be a good citizen, and I kinda thought that it would be a P.O.S. and not even close to as reliable as my old toyota yaris. but i bought the jk anyway cause i like my wrangler. I know not to have such a high regard for American made cars, but dam can't American car makers take pride in what they do!!! now i have bigger tires 265/75-16 and I'm wondering if the stealership will hassle me about fixing the leaks... it's just disappointing, and car companies wonder why no one will buy their cars... i jut thought I'd rant a little...

top of the front diff...

and the power steering...
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't jump the gun. Not only is your JK still in it's break-in period, but I believe the "leak" atop the differential is excess coolant that spouted out; most likely when going over a bump or turning; it's natural and will always do that as long as you top off your coolant.

As for the steering: A part of me wants to say that is from the coolant too, but doubtful. However, your picture is not entirely clear. I wouldn't fear anything though. As long as you are turning fine, you are alright.

Check for any cracks or stretches or openings in the hoses around the steering. If there are none than don't freak out. As for the diff, I bet you it is just spouted coolant; the stuff can stain until you powerwash or degrease.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Degrease the diff and loosely put a piece of duct tape over there. After another 1,000 miles, take it off. If it's under the tape, it's the diff leaking. If not, it's something from above.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by itasor
Degrease the diff and loosely put a piece of duct tape over there. After another 1,000 miles, take it off. If it's under the tape, it's the diff leaking. If not, it's something from above.
not the exact technique i would use........but its better then mine...i was gonna say wrap a rag around it. and do the same thing

Quick Reply: 1011 miles and i found two leaks already...