Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

1 or 2 fan relays? P0480

Old 05-30-2018, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1 or 2 fan relays? P0480

2013 Jeep JKU

I know the 07-11 JKU had a low speed fan relay in the fuse box and a high speed relay behind the drivers headlight.

My 13 had a "Radiator Low Speed Fan Relay" in the fuse box. But does it also have a high speed relay behind the drivers headlight? I didn't see one, so I wanted to check before taking things apart.

Also, where is the coolant temperature sensor located?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Bump!

P.S. I had a bad fan a few months ago, tested directly to battery and failed. Got a new OEM one online, it's been fine until the other day. It seems to be working fine, cycles on/off like it should. But I'm starting to flip that P0480 code again. Wiring looks good, relay is OK if there is just one. That's why I asked if there was a second behind the headlight. Other suggestions ideas/suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

I admit to being a bit confused on this one. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the 2007-2011 had a single speed fan that functioned like a two-speed by using a voltage divider. It had one relay (behind the headlamp) and then a voltage divider on the fan shroud. Hi-speed was through the relay with no voltage divider. Lo-speed was through the relay and through the voltage divider.

On a 2012+ vehicle, you have a variable speed fan, so it'll be a different system. When I look up a radiator fan relay for a 2013 JKU it lists one part with two relays (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...503367&jsn=499) ...

As for the coolant temp sensor, this may help -
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fix update

Longgg story short. I dont think I ever had a bad fan. Lots of trial and error. But I've been good for a month.

1) there is only one relay on ny 2013. Its labeled low speed.
2) when my fan stopped, the ac would not even turn it on.
3) wiring + and - from fan to battery didn't work for me, I think it may have something to do with the third.wire, it's called a pulse modulation wire or something. I think it may have worked if I jumpered it to +. But I didn't get a chance to test.
4) bottom line, I think my problem was related to a loose/little dirty negative battery cable. Now to be clear, it was not that loose or dirty. But after a good cleaning and tightening, I have not had the problem since.

So all else aside, that is a cheap easy way to atleast eliminate one potential problem. Hope this helps somebody!
The following users liked this post:
GreenBetty13 (05-07-2024)

Quick Reply: 1 or 2 fan relays? P0480