Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

0W-20 motor oil on a new Jeep

Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
This comment is absolutely correct. The lower the number, '0' in this case, the better the start up protection. The temperature has no bearing on it. So, running 0-20 or 0-30 is fine. All those who say that they run a 10 weight or even a 20 weight oil because the air temperature in their neck of the woods is over a certain degree are totally misinformed.
or just interpreting it wrong. They are understanding it, just maybe not explaining it in precise words.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
This comment is absolutely correct. The lower the number, '0' in this case, the better the start up protection. The temperature has no bearing on it. So, running 0-20 or 0-30 is fine. All those who say that they run a 10 weight or even a 20 weight oil because the air temperature in their neck of the woods is over a certain degree are totally misinformed.
That's not true. Temperature absolutely has bearing on it. But since we are splitting hairs...
Depending on brand oil, at a given temperature a 5w-XX may be thinner than a 0w-XX.

don't take my word for it. look up your favorite oil's PDS.
For a readily accessible example, Mobil 1
5w30 @40C, 61.7cSt
0w30 @40C, 62.9cSt
So on a hot summer day, the 5w30 is thinner at startup. Sub-freezing, it's a different story.

The designations of grade are not absolute values, they are ranges that oils have to fall into under certain conditions. And the relationships are not linear.

Use any top brand-name oil, keep it at the appropriate level on the dipstick and change it on a schedule as simple as following the oil life monitor and lubrication will not cause the early demise of the JK.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
Don't you mean 5W-30?

My 2012 calls for 5W-30.......which is funny cause all the 13-14's call for 5W-20 and my GFs 2013 Avenger R/T calls for 5W-20 as well......
My wifes 2012 also states 5W-30. I use the 5W-20 in it. I think they found it works better all around on VVT engines. There is so much engineering on oil that these discussions will never have a positive, absolute answer!! I use the Mobil1 also.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 2014 and use 5W20 but I also put two sticks of butter in with every oil change. I tried mazola but found that real butter worked better.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have a 2014 and use 5W20 but I also put two sticks of butter in with every oil change. I tried mazola but found that real butter worked better.
Chuck Norris pee works well too.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Chuck Norris pee works well too.
Yea but Chuck Norris does not have to pee.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
Yea but Chuck Norris does not have to pee.
that's not true. I just read that he peed in a semi truck gas tank and it is now known as Optimus Prime.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
That's not true. Temperature absolutely has bearing on it. But since we are splitting hairs...
Depending on brand oil, at a given temperature a 5w-XX may be thinner than a 0w-XX.

don't take my word for it. look up your favorite oil's PDS.
For a readily accessible example, Mobil 1
5w30 @40C, 61.7cSt
0w30 @40C, 62.9cSt
So on a hot summer day, the 5w30 is thinner at startup. Sub-freezing, it's a different story.

The designations of grade are not absolute values, they are ranges that oils have to fall into under certain conditions. And the relationships are not linear.

Use any top brand-name oil, keep it at the appropriate level on the dipstick and change it on a schedule as simple as following the oil life monitor and lubrication will not cause the early demise of the JK.
I know that this is getting old and we're beating a dead horse on the issue but I cannot accept your response, respectfully, of course. I'm not arguing, just disagreeing. Here's my take. We cannot possibly believe that the outside temperature, even if it's it gets 11- degrees outside, can affect the lower viscosity of oil. Sure, it will be slightly more viscous but when the average temperature of an engine reaches 300 plus degrees, this is a moot point. Remember, it's start-up that is where the major part of wear occurs. The thinner the oil, the better. So, a '0' rating on the low end is always a plus. I don't care how hot the outside temp is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that oil reaches it's best lubrication quality when it reaches 180 degrees. Of course, just my humble opinion. And I do respect yours.

Quick Reply: 0W-20 motor oil on a new Jeep