Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

08 rubicon will not take fuel

Old 03-03-2018, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 rubicon will not take fuel

Having an issue with my 08 rubicon taking fuel. The pump at the station keeps shutting off. I recently had the recall for fuel splashing out while refueling ( for the second time). I have looked for kinked vent hoses etc. but everything looks good underneath. Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks
Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What's the fix they've applied- a new tank or simply the replacement section of hose?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

<div style="text-align:left;">The fix for the recall of fuel splashing back was to replace a section of hose midway between the tank and the fill point. </div>
Old 03-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Ok, that's a good start. Can you take that section of hose out and verify that the flapper is hinged at the top? The tank also has 3 lines at the rear. The one running parallel to your filler (enters at the rear of the tank, near the filler) is your vent hose. Is that line breathing easily? I don't know of a way to test that right off hand.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I'll pull that hose and check it out,will also look for the vent hose you mentioned. Thanks again
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my 08 Sport. Dealer said there was a recall (I was the original owner and never received a recall notice). The paper work showed they replace the entire system; fuel fill and fuel tank. There was no charge. I no longer have that Jeep so I do not have the paper work.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

found the problem. When I had the x32 recall done the tech switched the two hoses going into the evaporate canister, one is the filler vent and the other they call the purge hose. Works fine now. Thanks to all for your input.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

If you have the fuel spill issue and it isn't covered under warranty, here is the part you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Performance-CNNNX321AC-Tube/dp/B00CMTNLJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520050182&sr=8-1&keywords=CNNNX321AC
Old 03-13-2018, 10:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been, and am still going through this ordeal. Last year, I took my '07 JK in for the splash back recall. They cut and installed a length of tubing in the filler neck. I didn't notice any difference. I never had splash back, only super slow fueling because the pump kept shutting off. I didn't bother to take it back in right away, as it's not my daily driver...so it doesn't bug me too bad. About a month ago, I took it in to do the recall on the airbags. I mentioned the refueling issue while I had it there. He called me about 2 hours later, and told me the reason that I was having issues, was because the lift that I had just installed was draping some wires over the filler neck and causing a kink. He told me that his mechanic specifically remembered doing the recall on my Jeep, and that it wasn't that way when he worked on it. I told him that the lift had been installed on that Jeep for over 4 years, and they know that because it's been on there the last few years that they have done service on it. Verbatim from the service advisor after I told him that the lift had been on for years, "I beg to differ". I immediately dropped what I was doing and went to the dealership to confront the arrogant little prick. After having it out with him, I told him to show me what he was referring to. What he was saying was that the e-brake cables running over the top of the filler neck, was causing a kink in the hose. It appeared to have a slight bend in it at the time, but that was only because it was on the lift and the suspension was completely maxed out at the time. I pointed out that even if a lift had been installed...did he really think that the cables were rerouted around the top of that filler neck? It was physically impossible because the brake lines are solid piece through there, and the brake lines would have just been left to hang down had they been removed from the axle. He started to act like it was a big job to reroute the cables until I told him to just loosen and remove one of the hose clamps for the filler neck. It took all of 2 minutes to get them below the filler neck. No surprise, but it still doesn't take gas worth a crap. Morons I tell you.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

They did run over top of the fuel line from the factory. I added a 2" square spacer to drop the brake lines so they aren't so tight against the fuel neck. Obviously they're feeding you a copout so they don't have to fix the issue. I would have run up there too to correct the attitude of the "advisor".

Quick Reply: 08 rubicon will not take fuel