Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

07 weak points

Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 weak points

I was cruising around in another forum and posted a couple of pics of my new to me 07 unlimited. I got a post pointing out some issues. Is there any merit to what this gentleman posted?

new jeeps need some work before they should ever glue a trail rated badge on them.......have seen many break down on trails, saw one in my line snap his track bar taking a left turn....pretty much on same type road your jeep is pictured on(meaning as technical as a mall parking lot) saw 5 jeeps overheat after splashing through mud puddles that were possible 1 foot deep..... fans stopped working.......do some research and do some upgrades before you hit anyting major in it.....another weak point is the engine. If your going to do a lift at anytime you will want to swap gears.....may want to also consider a locker at some point as well or does yours come with the rear locker?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

That was just a JK hater. All Jeeps have weak points, but the 07 is no worse than any other. First of all, I have heard of people breaking track bar MOUNTS, but have never personally seen it. I have taken my 07 through some CRAZY trails and over some really difficult obstacles with no damage. As far as overheating after mud puddles... whatever. I have had mine in 3 feet of nasty mud, and never had an issue. Yes, we have a mini van motor, but it is serviceable, and will get you from A to B. The guys that have the 4 cyl TJ's would kill for our mini van motor. The last part about needing gears after a lift is what really shows his ignorance. Lifting a jeep will affect steering, ride quality, and your wallet, but it will not affect strain on the engine or transmission. That guy is an idiot. As far as the locker, you clearly stated it was an 07, which didn't come with a locker except in the rubicon. The big X on the side of your Jeep should have explained to him that you don't have a rear locker. Do you need one? depends on the types of trails you want to run. My suggestion, get bigger tires, (which is the actual reason to re gear) a small lift, and some good quality recovery gear, then decide if you need lockers. So all this comes down to one thing, that guy was an idiot, ignore him. Better yet, copy and paste this to that forum so I can bitch slap him!!! Enjoy your new toy man, and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am curious as to what the author of that post was driving. I doubt it was any "factory stock" rig that could go the places that a Jeep could.

Probably someone who just wishes they had bought a Jeep.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mvnolan
That was just a JK hater. All Jeeps have weak points, but the 07 is no worse than any other. First of all, I have heard of people breaking track bar MOUNTS, but have never personally seen it. I have taken my 07 through some CRAZY trails and over some really difficult obstacles with no damage. As far as overheating after mud puddles... whatever. I have had mine in 3 feet of nasty mud, and never had an issue. Yes, we have a mini van motor, but it is serviceable, and will get you from A to B. The guys that have the 4 cyl TJ's would kill for our mini van motor. The last part about needing gears after a lift is what really shows his ignorance. Lifting a jeep will affect steering, ride quality, and your wallet, but it will not affect strain on the engine or transmission. That guy is an idiot. As far as the locker, you clearly stated it was an 07, which didn't come with a locker except in the rubicon. The big X on the side of your Jeep should have explained to him that you don't have a rear locker. Do you need one? depends on the types of trails you want to run. My suggestion, get bigger tires, (which is the actual reason to re gear) a small lift, and some good quality recovery gear, then decide if you need lockers. So all this comes down to one thing, that guy was an idiot, ignore him. Better yet, copy and paste this to that forum so I can bitch slap him!!! Enjoy your new toy man, and welcome to the forum.
Dude,

Thanks for this. I am smiling from ear to ear. I appreciate the verbal bitch slap sounds like he needs it.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like that other forum has some people who don't know what theyre talking about. Could we have the name of that forum so we know what one to avoid. Just enjoy your new jeep and don't even worry about what that person said.
The only issue that he brought up that has any merrit is the one about mud getting into the fans. But even that was wrong. The mud has to be deep enough that it is streaming through the radiator and getting into the motor for the fans and shorting them out. I went through water in Palo Duro Canyon in May during the Jeep Jamboree that was up to the floor of my Jeep for over an hour while we were trying to get out of the canyon after a downpour and had no problems at all.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took my stock 2010 2 door out on a double black diamond trail and had to be pulled twice. We did two trails that day and I only needed pulled b/c it was the first time I had ever been crawling in my life.(driver error - but I learned) Screw that guy!!! JK's are the most capable stock vehicle sold PERIOD!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditch the other forum and make this your home. he probably drove a FJ or a H3. Jeep makes one of (if not the) best 4wd systems out. people that wish they had something as capable without dumping thousands into it, hate. thats what they do. your rig looks like its pretty capable just by the tires and looks like leveling kit, alone. the only thing keeping your jeep back from conquering almost any trail is the height, no tow hooks, and lack of lockers. neither of which would cause a track bar to snap. check around the for sale area and pick up some factory tow hooks. should be able to find some for about $20 shipped.

on a side note, he is right with the comment on the fan. Jk fans have been known to break after getting submerged or gunked with mud/deep water. if you go through deep mud or water, just do so properly and at a controlled speed as to not cause a wave over the hood. 1 ft of mud isnt going to cause it. if you have a manual tranny, dont shift under water. rule #3 never go alone.

other than that, go have fun and enjoy your new addiction.

Quick Reply: 07 weak points