Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

07 Sahara oil consumption 80k ...options?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Sahara oil consumption 80k ...options?

So it looks like I am in the middle of the oil consumption issue now. I'm burning through oil at more than 1qt per 1,000 miles. My JK is just a tick over 80,000 miles. From everything I read on here, it is a ring issue. I am also going to be checking my timing chain cover.

Can anyone provide me any additional items I need to check? I don't think I have the lifetime warranty as I bought this JK 2 years ago with 50k on the clock.

If I am doing anything with it, I will be rebuilding myself. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would recommend trying a thicker motor oil like 10w30 and see if it slows any. Also put in a new pcv valve. Make sure there is no coolant mixed in with the oil. You might even look at installing an oil catch can, which mounts inline on the pcv hose, that way you can monitor how much oil is blowing through there
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would recommend trying a thicker motor oil like 10w30 and see if it slows any. Also put in a new pcv valve. Make sure there is no coolant mixed in with the oil. You might even look at installing an oil catch can, which mounts inline on the pcv hose, that way you can monitor how much oil is blowing through there
My 2 cents about this since I have a same year/package/mileage JKU is that all of these did not help one bit. I changed my pcv about a year ago and have gone through the gambit on oil weights and different filters with no change in consumption. The only thing I really came up with is that using a FRAM toughguard filter mostly eliminated dry starts. It sounds like you are at the same point in the troubleshooting as I am. My next steps are a new timing cover and valve cover gaskets. I can see where the oil has made it past the seals and gone down to the oil pan adapter consistent with this TSB:

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » TSB - 3.8L Engine Oil Seepage Due To Front Timing Cover Surface Porosity

Not saying 100% that those options wont help you, but I can say for sure they did not help me.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 07 it was the rings, they are made lighter weight for gas milage. Put new ones in under warrenty now no oil used between changes.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSaghi
On my 07 it was the rings, they are made lighter weight for gas milage. Put new ones in under warrenty now no oil used between changes.
Crap. I really hope thats not the case. Mines long out of warranty and if thats it might as well just get another motor.

Quick Reply: 07 Sahara oil consumption 80k ...options?