Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

07 Rubicon Trans Rattle - New Luk Clutch Kit

Old 04-03-2017, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rubicon Trans Rattle - New Luk Clutch Kit

I've seen quite a few threads on this, but none of them updated or with an actual answer.. so here's the back story. 07' Rubicon with 83k miles. I noticed pieces of the throwout bearing visible while crawling around under the Jeep one day, so I went ahead and ordered the Luk clutch kit (bearing included). Dealership installed the kit and I was off and running with a new clutch and TOB. I noticed shortly after driving away that there was a new rattle between 1800-2800 rpm. A ratcheting type of sound that would go away when the clutch was pressed in. I could/can also hear it while in neutral with the clutch out and revved up to the above mentioned rpms. Drove back and had a tech listen to it. He put it back up on the lift and drove it out about 30 mins later saying he can't seem to find a problem. "If it gets worse, bring it back, but I wouldn't worry about it". Well, since it didn't do it before, I'm looking for ideas. I've read about the "wrangler rattle" and how people are just living with it... suggestions? Anyone know the actual cause of this rattle?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That sound is usually the throwout bearing and yes- you just get used to it. Mine does and has for a while but it's just not worth pulling it all apart to have it happen again in another six months to a year.

I'm running the National throwout bearing and Spec clutch. Noise goes away when the new TOB is put in but it cones right back.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what's weird. I had no noise with the old demolished bearing, and now I have the noise with the new one. Figures. I can live with it if it doesn't get worse. Just seems strange to me.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine rattles too normally after i have driven for a while. 2012 with about 14k miles on it. the rattle is hit or miss some times it pops up sometimes not.

Quick Reply: 07 Rubicon Trans Rattle - New Luk Clutch Kit