Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

07 JKU - Gas smell @ Full Tank - Next steps?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 JKU - Gas smell @ Full Tank - Next steps?

Hi there, i've had the Jeep since October. Have maybe 10 full tanks through the Jeep since I got it. Gas smell issue is new - past two full tanks.

I bought Jeep from a dealer - at purchase, I had them replace gas tank skid - old one was rusted badly.

I've been reading there is a common problem of the Sender Gasket going bad.

A few questions:
1) Can the Sender gasket be changed? Or just a new sender?
2) Does the Fuel Tank need to be 100% removed in order to change the sender? Or just lower it down part way?
3) Any other areas of the tank cause issues? I've heard the EVAP could be a source of the gas smell - where is the EVAP unit on the Jeep?

Many thanks to all for the help!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd drop the tank all the way to remove and install the sending unit, it's not terribly bad to do. Lower the back first and unclip the filler as well as the other 2 (or maybe 3) connections/ vent lines. Drop it a little more and disconnect the fuel pump wiring harness, safety clip on it but a long enough harness. Then bring down the front only a little bit, there are 2 more lines that need to be disconnected from above the crossmember- one is fuel pressure and I think the other is a return line so it isn't crazy pressed on.

All of these connections have the plastic tabs that hold the line on, so you'll have to gently remove those before pulling any lines away from each other.

On the evap unit, it's on the opposite side, that black box with tubes and a harness.

Quick Reply: 07 JKU - Gas smell @ Full Tank - Next steps?