Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

07 jk engine swap

Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 jk engine swap

back in january crank shaft in my engine started rocking back and forth. i let it sit for a couple days then took it to the so called dealer ship. they told me i needed to replace the engine or call chrysler and see if they could do anything for me. i researched a little over the web and forums. found out that alot of the first 07 jk's produced had oil return problems fro the oil pump. i called chrysler and explained my situation. i was called back the next day and was told iff i could produce my oil change receipts they could help me out with gettting a new engine. i could not produce them. . what ever! so in march i found an engine and transmission at another dealership out of town. i purchased the package from them "as is" with no problems. engine and trans only had 22,000 miles on them.

recently i swapped out the two engines and just used my 07 trans and married it to the 08 3.8l v6. got everything back in and hooked up. went to start it over and what is happening is this. i turn the key with a volt meter on the battery and it drops from 12.9 to anywhere between 9.2 and 9.5 volts. my starter clicks and enguages the fly wheel but does not turn it over. ive taken the starter out and it turns over when holding it in my hand. all of the grounds are clean and in good condition. i am going on two weeks now with this thing not turning over for me.

i called the dealership and asked them if the starter or fly wheel is different nd they told me that nothing between the 07 jk unlimited x and the 08 jk unlimited x is different. can anyone help me figure this out.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you need to charge your battery, or boost it. When the battery starts to fail, it will still read 12 v NO load but will quickly drop down to 9v or less with a load.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pirate
Sounds like you need to charge your battery, or boost it. When the battery starts to fail, it will still read 12 v NO load but will quickly drop down to 9v or less with a load.
that was the first thing i did. my yellow cap had a bad cell so i bought a new one. forgot to mention that.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you hear the eng run before you put it in? Can you turn the eng over by hand?

Quick Reply: 07 jk engine swap