Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

‘12 Jk radiator petcock leaking

Old 09-30-2018, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘12 Jk radiator petcock leaking

Hi

I replaced the thermostat yesterday and during the drain process the petcock popped out. I managed to get it back in but it won’t seal now and drips when system pressure builds up.

I realize the petcock isn’t supposed to come out and am wondering if I am looking at a new radiator now or should I try to hunt down a new o ring. I live rurally so I can’t afford to play around with it too long; if I have pooched the radiator I would just as soon get on with it than spend a couple days finding an o ring only to find out I broke something internally.

thanks.

Last edited by trel; 09-30-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I've totally removed my petc0ck before with no issues. There's nothing on the inside right there that you would have broken in doing so. If it were me, I'd 1) verify the o-ring is clean, and/or 2) replace the o-ring. Honestly, our petcocks are so bad you could probably pull it out and take care of biz without too much leaking out. Did you feel like you needed to drain the radiator to replace the thermostat? You don't lose much coolant in that process.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

thanks, turns out the o ring had a tiny break on the outer edge.

I drained it think I would change the coolant at the same time.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The petcock from the dealer isn't crazy expensive. I had a similar issue after a coolant change and it turns out the o-ring wasn't quite fully seated. I now have a spare petcock just in case. My leak was barely a dribble but enough to where I'd see it on the pavement.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The petcock from the dealer isn't crazy expensive. I had a similar issue after a coolant change and it turns out the o-ring wasn't quite fully seated. I now have a spare petcock just in case. My leak was barely a dribble but enough to where I'd see it on the pavement.
I ordered two in this morning. I had found an o ring at Canadian Tire but it was a touch to small and had a slight drip when the rad was half full.

just means i had to drive my summer car in the rain for a few days....could be worse.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Rip in a 6 year old o-ring isn't too surprising.....what is surprising is factory radiator is still going strong after 6 years.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I think I would have used some epoxy and just sealed that petc0ck drain off. After trying to pull that thing out to drain my radiator, I learned my lesson. It's just easier and better to disconnect the bottom hose if you need to drain the coolant.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
It's just easier and better to disconnect the bottom hose if you need to drain the coolant.
Agree. that is what I learned the first time as well. Spend all day waiting on petc0ck...vs. just pulling the hose.

Quick Reply: ‘12 Jk radiator petcock leaking