Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

TeraFlex 2.5" BB Info Update!!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation TeraFlex 2.5" BB Info Update!!

With so many questions about clearance issues with TeraFlex 2.5” BB kits, TeraFlex wants to help clarify 2 potential issues with the rear swaybar.

1. If you install the rear swaybar links on the outside, this may cause your swaybar to move side to side. This could allow the swaybar to rub against the brake lines.

2. Another issue we’ve heard about is tires rubbing on the rear swaybar when installing our TeraFlex 2.5” BB. Longer than stock shocks or shock extensions on stock shocks allow the axle to droop farther for improved flex. With this improved suspension movement the rear tires will rub on the swaybar at full flex. 4.5 inch backspacing rims are required or wheel offset spacers if you run stock rims.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in a nut shell tell me what I will need if I decide to run a 2.5" BB with stock 32" BFG on 17" stock Sahara wheels.

I plan on placing an order in the next week or so and I want to get everything I need at one time.

1. Do I need to install the sway bar links to the inside?

2. What size spacers will I need to prevent the rubbing?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
With so many questions about clearance issues with TeraFlex 2.5” BB kits, TeraFlex wants to help clarify 2 potential issues with the rear swaybar.

1. If you install the rear swaybar links on the outside, this may cause your swaybar to move side to side. This could allow the swaybar to rub against the brake lines.

2. Another issue we’ve heard about is tires rubbing on the rear swaybar when installing our TeraFlex 2.5” BB. Longer than stock shocks or shock extensions on stock shocks allow the axle to droop farther for improved flex. With this improved suspension movement the rear tires will rub on the swaybar at full flex. 4.5 inch backspacing rims are required or wheel offset spacers if you run stock rims.
In regards to #1, can you install the rear swaybar link on the inside?

And #2, if the above is doable, does this address this issue as well?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
In regards to #1, can you install the rear swaybar link on the inside?

And #2, if the above is doable, does this address this issue as well?
The sway bar link ends are a lot bigger and this prevents it from being able to install on the inside. The only way you can make this work is to drill new mounting holes on the bracket that are higher up.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by N2rock
Stock Sahara wheels are 18"... X and Rubi have 17"
Yes, Stock Sahara wheels are 18", Rubies have 17" and actually, depending on what you get, X's can be had with either 17" or 16" wheels. Or, at least that's how they used to come. All have 6.25" of back spacing.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate everyone's research and responses here. I really, desperately wanted this lift, but it seems there are minor issues that still remain; therefore I may need one that better suits my application.

Thanks again
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
I appreciate everyone's research and responses here. I really, desperately wanted this lift, but it seems there are minor issues that still remain; therefore I may need one that better suits my application.

Thanks again
Honestly, it really is a great kit and if you do not have a Rubicon, I would just recommend that you keep your factory rear links where they are and get a set of front sway bar link disconnects. If you do this, there will be no 'minor issues' to deal with.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Honestly, it really is a great kit and if you do not have a Rubicon, I would just recommend that you keep your factory rear links where they are and get a set of front sway bar link disconnects. If you do this, there will be no 'minor issues' to deal with.
Even if I have the same e-disco that Rubicons have? From my understanding, there should be no difference unless the sway bars connect differently to the D44.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:18 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RuBob
So this kit won't work without issues? If you have a Rubicon, you are screwed? If not, you need to drill new holes?
If you install the extended rear sway bar links with factory wheels and tires, you will have rubbing issues. If you have a Rubicon, it is recommended that you install these links and then move the factory rear links up front. TeraFlex recommends that you run aftermarket wheels with less than factory back spacing or wheel spacers to prevent any rubbing. If you want to keep your factory wheels and tires and have a Rubicon, you may want to relocate the sway bar link mounting holes on the axle mounts so that they can be mounted on the inside. For what it's worth, I have a Rubicon and have run the TeraFlex 2.5" BB with just the factory links installed and never had a problem. However, there have been a few instances where the front links over extened and flipped with the Rubi e-disco on. This is the only reason why the new rear links are provided and why the factory rear links (which are longer than the fronts) are moved up front. Does all this make sense?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Again, is this specific to the Dana 44 or the e-disco? I have an X with the e-disco; therefore are the links the same?

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5" BB Info Update!!