Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Sneak preview of our own transmission cooler .

Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered - Thanks Gus.

People will note that I'm not in the desert, but I do a fair amount of towing, so I'm looking for the best.

Can't wait to install.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok i got the new pictures from the coolers the first one shows the difference on ours vs. b&m. Also in here you can also compare the fittings on b&m cooler compare to ours and the thickness in between the both.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BM 70268 VS ORW COOLER.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	190234

Also im going to leave this link so you guys know how the btu are messure and how they work.

Name:	SIZE COOLER.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	190235

http://www.hermannelson.com/btu_calculator.cfm

Thanks again for every ones input.

Gus V.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Nice!

Thanks Gus
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Ok i got the new pictures from the coolers the first one shows the difference on ours vs. b&m. Also in here you can also compare the fittings on b&m cooler compare to ours and the thickness in between the both.

Attachment 190234

Also im going to leave this link so you guys know how the btu are messure and how they work.

Attachment 190235

http://www.hermannelson.com/btu_calculator.cfm

Thanks again for every ones input.

Gus V.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Any update on the instructions?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Originally Posted by gcally
Any update on the instructions?
Yes im going to be sending emails before i leave with instructions.

And if you have any questions on it you can give us a call and will walk you thru it.

Thanks

Gus V.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default My Trans Cooler write-up

Installing an Automatic Transmission Cooler
Josephus
June 10, 2011
Purpose:
To assist as a guide to installing an automatic transmission cooler, on a 2007+ Jeep Wrangler.

Parts:
Flex-a-Lite transmission cooler $75
Hoses and clamps $15
˝” copper pipe holders (Home Depot) $5
˝” Flat Steel (Home Depot) $8
Can of flat black spray paint. $3
Mounting hardware (nuts & bolts) $?
Total $100-$125

Step 1
Remove the front grill, newer jeeps use plastic screw rivets, which are pretty flimsy. By backing the Phillips head out – then prying the collar up I was able to get most of them out in 1 piece.

Name:	Grill.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	191632

Locate a solid front-end member to mount some support brackets. In the case of the jeep, Chrysler was kind enough to leave a couple of mounting tabs. After pre-painting some flat stock steel, I was able to cut and bend 2 pieces. The wiring harness moves easily out of the way.

Name:	Bracket.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	191637

When drilling be careful as it is all to easy to poke a hole into your radiator. Using a rag behind the brackets can slow a fast drill. Mount your brackets securely.

Name:	DrillTabs.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	191642

The kit comes with some zip-ties that you’re supposed to use to attach the transmission cooler to your radiator. That didn’t seem like such a good idea with all the vibration and bouncing of the jeep. It also didn’t allow for any airflow between the tranny cooler and radiator.

Name:	DrillBrackets.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	191643

Using some copper pipe hangers I located at Home Depot, I was able to secure the transmission cooler to the brackets leaving over 1.5” of air space between.

Name:	PipeHolders.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	191645

On the jeep – the grill is very open and visible to the inside. I had pre-painted the cooler, so just a little bit of touch up was needed after everything was mounted up.

This crappy cell-phone picture is trying to show the connections of the hoses into the existing hard lines. Be careful not to cross any moving parts for steering links or swaybars.

A simple set of hose clamps are used to connect to the existing rubber hose.

When you go to close everything back up and put the grill back on, take your time and don’t bash your knuckles across the fins of the cooler. The fins are weak, and will bend easily (not to mention your skin).
Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Trans Part 2 pictures

Limited to 5 pix per post, so here is part 2.

I too ordered the Tow Package from the factory thinking it included a real transmission cooler, not just an afterthought combo radiator/tranny cooler.

Name:	BracketMount.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	191649

Name:	Completed.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	191650

Name:	Hoses2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	191651

I really do recommend all Automatic transmission owners consider this mod. Last summer I had to spend $1700 getting my JKL Rubicon towed off the beach to the dealership - interupting our week of vacation, on the beach access-only house rental north of Corolla NC (OBX).

If you plan on running your JK automatic over anything other than a soccer field, for an extended period of time, You Must Use 4-Low or you will Cook your torque converter. Of course no where in the Owner's Manual does it tell you anything about the fact that:
When in 4-High your transmission torque converter does NOT lockup until you are in 3rd gear, ever!
When you are in 4-Low your torque converter is always locked, and this is preferred for extensive use off pavement.

In fact, when I first started 'wheeling' 20 years ago, I was told to leave it 4-High, and only utilize 4-Low when traversing very difficult obstacles, or boat ramps etc. and to just let the transmission do the work, because you don't want to put extra wear on your transfer case gears.
Also, with the Rubicon 4-Low being a 4:1 setup the gearing is extremely low, and you'd easily run it up into OD to get 20-25mph over sand.

As it turns out the minivan gearing and torque converter used in 2007-2011 JKs is not suited to serious off roading without a secondary transmission cooler. I think the combo cooler from the factory actually transfers engine heat into the transmission through the combo OEM cooler.

Last edited by Josephus; 08-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ORWJK
Yes im going to be sending emails before i leave with instructions.

And if you have any questions on it you can give us a call and will walk you thru it.

Thanks

Gus V.

Gus, thanks for the instructions you sent to my personal email! Like I mentioned, the ORW set up was a direct replacement of the cheap B&M super cooler I had been running for about 9 months. The B&M always leaked at the inlet and outlet tubes of the cooler.
The ORW kit that was sent is worth the money, all parts are of a much higher quality, I especially like the supplied rivet-nut tool, the rivet-nuts made for an exceptionally clean install. The AN hose fittings are leak proof! By the way, first test drive, 110 degrees on the street today, and my trans temps are reading about 20-25 degrees cooler with the ORW JK trans cooler kit, than it was reading with the B&M.

I have included a few before and after photos, your set up wins hands down:

Old cooler set up with PSC steering cooler below.

Had to remove winch to relocate PSC ram assist cooler and install rivet-nuts for ORW set up

Relocated ram assist cooler below crossmember

Oddly enough, the old set up's hose clamp junction at the hard lines NEVER ONCE leaked. It was very difficult to remove barbed fitting joining hose to hard line tubing

New set up, before it was plumbed with lines.

All bolted back up, looking sweet and clean

looking like it should have from the factory!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Hey Greg thanks for those pics looks good and you jeep is sick do you have any pics from the side of your jeep? i like it.

Thanks

Gus V.

Last edited by ORWJK; 08-10-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Sneak preview of our own transmission cooler .