Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Preorder Time! Teraflex Front Big Brake Kit!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed these back maybe a month and a half to two months ago. At first I had a real bad problem with the pads rattling due to the brake pad tension clips not fitting well. I contacted Teraflex about the problem and they put me into contact with an employee that was on the design team for the big brake kit. I explained to him the problem I was having and also explained that everything in the photos that the instructions show didn't look anything like what I received in the box. He said he would look into it since he doesn't actually know what the kit ships with now (I guess that isn't his department) and he would get back to me on it. I still haven't had anyone from Teraflex contact me (I guess they aren't to worried about the safety factor of brakes too much), luckily I just figured out a fix.

Now for the second more serious safety problem, I went wheeling last weekend and since I got back I have had a real bad squealing coming from the front drivers side. I just figured it was maybe some dirt and mud stuck in the brakes somewhere. I finally got some time to look at it this weekend and to my surprise when I pulled the wheels off the bolts holding the caliper to the bracket were not there. Luckily the notches sticking out of the pads were the only reason the caliper was still hanging on. Before you ask, yes I did use thread lock. I found two bolts to put in there that are grade 8.8 just like the bolts that were shipped with the kit and I used more thread lock this time and from now on I will check them regularly. I did not contact Teraflex this time considering they blew me off last time. I just figured I would throw this information out there for everyone else that has bought or plans to buy this kit.

Last edited by yellow08rubicon; 11-13-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put these on a few months back, and also had quite a bit of brake pad rattle. I called Teraflex, and they said they would look into what pads shipped with the kit, and get back to me. Just like the previous poster...I never got a call back. I pulled the pads, and bent the metal clips out a bit to create more tension on the clips....and this has fixed that problem. I also have a squeal, but just figured it was a normal brake squeal. I haven't checked the caliper bolts, but will do this. It isn't very bad.

All in all, I'm happy with the kit. It does provide much better stopping power, both on and off-road. My rig is built pretty heavy, and I was able to hold the big ledges as I slid off of them. Previously...I ran out of braking force and couldn't stop the rig in mid descent.

I am dissapointed that Teraflex never got back to me, but also know that this is uncharacteristic of them. They normally have very good customer service, and have taken good care of me on several occasions in the past, so I'm not holding this against them.

I pushed pretty hard to have one of the very first sets that shipped, so to some degree I expect to have less than perfect instructions and fit because some of the bugs aren't worked out yet. The other side to this is that a company like Teraflex should have worked out all of the bugs prior to releasing the kit.

Some other good news is that (if I remember correctly) these pads are replaced by any of the full size Dodge truck pads, so they are easy to get, and there are plenty of high performance replacements. Many of you may not realize that after we bolt all of the armor, suspensions etc. to our rigs, the 4-doors are often weighing in over 6,000 lbs. This puts quite a bit of strain on the stock braking system that wasn't designed to meet these forces. At some point, most will need to make some sort of braking upgrades, and this seems to be a pretty good value for what you get.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellow08rubicon
I installed these back maybe a month and a half to two months ago. At first I had a real bad problem with the pads rattling due to the brake pad tension clips not fitting well. I contacted Teraflex about the problem and they put me into contact with an employee that was on the design team for the big brake kit. I explained to him the problem I was having and also explained that everything in the photos that the instructions show didn't look anything like what I received in the box. He said he would look into it since he doesn't actually know what the kit ships with now (I guess that isn't his department) and he would get back to me on it. I still haven't had anyone from Teraflex contact me (I guess they aren't to worried about the safety factor of brakes too much), luckily I just figured out a fix. Now for the second more serious safety problem, I went wheeling last weekend and since I got back I have had a real bad squealing coming from the front drivers side. I just figured it was maybe some dirt and mud stuck in the brakes somewhere. I finally got some time to look at it this weekend and to my surprise when I pulled the wheels off the bolts holding the caliper to the bracket were not there. Luckily the notches sticking out of the pads were the only reason the caliper was still hanging on. Before you ask, yes I did use thread lock. I found two bolts to put in there that are grade 8.8 just like the bolts that were shipped with the kit and I used more thread lock this time and from now on I will check them regularly. I did not contact Teraflex this time considering they blew me off last time. I just figured I would throw this information out there for everyone else that has bought or plans to buy this kit.
I hope this gets figured out. I'm very interested in these, and I'm looking forward to getting a set... I'm a big proponent of Teraflex products and customer service. I think they will pull through for you guys.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will get with our engineering dept monday on these issues. I am sorry about the lack of proper communications on these issues.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any updates on this?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by estim8d
Any updates on this?
These are good to go!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rear big brakes??

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
These are good to go!
Any thoughts of larger brakes for the rear?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by 09RubiconUnlimited
Any thoughts of larger brakes for the rear?
It will happen, but not any time soon.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

so, what was the fix? looking at doing this upgrade soon.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by fitzb
so, what was the fix? looking at doing this upgrade soon.
Made sure correct pads and anti-rattle clips go with the kits.

Quick Reply: Preorder Time! Teraflex Front Big Brake Kit!