Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

New Goodyear MTR with Kevlar

Old 02-26-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct
The 35x12.50-17 and 37x12.50-17 MTR w/Kevlar tires are on back order still.

We do however, have the 315/70-17 size available in this model which is almost the equivalent to the 35x12.50-17 size. Here's the link....

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=315
What are the main differences?

Last edited by kntr; 02-26-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kntr
What is the difference?
Metric sizing vs high flotation sizing and load range.

The 35x12.50-17 is 6 ply rated and the 315/70-17 is 8 ply rated.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Metric sizing vs high flotation sizing and load range.

The 35x12.50-17 is 6 ply rated and the 315/70-17 is 8 ply rated.
Size looks about the same. So the main difference is ply and weight? What about price difference?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm a late comer to this thread. I'm in the market for tires and am considering the Duratracs. Do they make these in 35's or only metric sizing? If so, are either on backorder? Pricing? Timeframe? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by kntr
Size looks about the same. So the main difference is ply and weight? What about price difference?
Load carrying capacity, ply and weight. The 315's are also about $30.00 more per tire.

Originally Posted by MDJKER
Sorry, I'm a late comer to this thread. I'm in the market for tires and am considering the Duratracs. Do they make these in 35's or only metric sizing? If so, are either on backorder? Pricing? Timeframe? Thanks.
Never too late.

The DuraTrac is built in Metric sizes only at this time. Here's a link to sizes and prices and availability.: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV

Please call us for an accurate ETA.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for giving us forum members a discount! I am wanting to get a price quote for 5 tires in size 38x14.50x17 in the Goodyear MT/R's and the BFG KM2's. Shipped to 74136. Also I have the AEV Pintlers. There specs are as follows.The Pintler is a 17x8.5" wheel with 4.7" backspacing and +10mm offset. Do you think these tires will work with these rims ok? Would love to hear your thoughts on both these tires and my tire/rim choice. Thank you!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by CGnTtown
Thanks for giving us forum members a discount! I am wanting to get a price quote for 5 tires in size 38x14.50x17 in the Goodyear MT/R's and the BFG KM2's. Shipped to 74136. Also I have the AEV Pintlers. There specs are as follows.The Pintler is a 17x8.5" wheel with 4.7" backspacing and +10mm offset. Do you think these tires will work with these rims ok? Would love to hear your thoughts on both these tires and my tire/rim choice. Thank you!!!
Here's a link for price: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...+MT%2FR+Kevlar Shipping to 74136 would be FREE and you'll get $50.00 off your total if you call in your order, mention this site and order 5.

I wouldn't recommend running this tire on this wheel. If your Pintlers have a +10mm offset they actually have a 5.14"BS. You have a few things working against you with this set up. First, the 8.5" width is too narrow for a 14.5" wide wheel. Second, the offset is too high for this application, the tire will most likely hit suspension components and/or frame without some sort of spacer (not recommended). Lastly, your tires will have a high chance of developing wear issues and they will wear quicker than expected.

If you want to run this size tire I would recommend looking for a wider wheel with a lower offset.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a link for price: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...+MT%2FR+Kevlar Shipping to 74136 would be FREE and you'll get $50.00 off your total if you call in your order, mention this site and order 5.

I wouldn't recommend running this tire on this wheel. If your Pintlers have a +10mm offset they actually have a 5.14"BS. You have a few things working against you with this set up. First, the 8.5" width is too narrow for a 14.5" wide wheel. Second, the offset is too high for this application, the tire will most likely hit suspension components and/or frame without some sort of spacer (not recommended). Lastly, your tires will have a high chance of developing wear issues and they will wear quicker than expected.

If you want to run this size tire I would recommend looking for a wider wheel with a lower offset.
Wow, that's disappointing to hear but thanks for the info. Out of curiosity why are spacers not recommended? I know that their is a member here running these same tires and wheels I mentioned. I am not sure if he is running a spacer or not though and I know he loves them and is not having any issues with them. Also what is the max width of tire you would recommend for this wheel? I am currently running the KM2's 37x12.50x17 and I have noticed where the tires are rubbing on the lower control arms by the shiny area on them but there is no harm being done. I really like these tires but I want something a little taller and a little wider. You have any recommendations for me? I know for a fact I want to keep my rims the same. I am also running the AEV 4.5" lift and have ample clearance for larger tires but I want to have some room for plenty of wheel travel. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He's a wheel and tire guy, they all "don't recommend" wheel spacers. Don't worry about it. I ran a set of Fred Goeske's wheel spacers in between the rear wheels of my dually for year and hauled over 20 000 lbs all the time. Never had a torque or failure issue there.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

There have been a few pics of failed spacers. Id pass too.

Quick Reply: New Goodyear MTR with Kevlar