Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

2012 JK RIPP Supercharger Sneak Peak - Worlds First Supercharged 3.6

Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12

I just moved from sea level. Run on e-470 every week. I didn't see an mpg drop, and not much difference in feel. Dyno? I'm sure you could see the change in numbers. I guess I feel, if I wanted HP and top end performance, I wouldn't have bought a jeep. Or, i wpuld have opted for the sweet SRT8. Not t mention, the peak HP and torque are at higher rpms than the vast majority of anybody actually drive at.

The numbers?
The old 3.8-liter V-6 produced 202 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 237 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm. The new 3.6 puts out 285 hp at 6,400 rpm and 260 pounds-feet at 4,800 rpm.

The formula?
HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000. That's about 45 HP from sea level to 5280'. That's at peak power (6400rpm). Considering whp at 189hp (assuming sea level), this variance is far less, reflecting 29.9xxxx horsepower loss. For a vehicle weighing at 5800 lbs., that's a realistic yet negligible difference. In this entire mix, torque gets you moving. Horsepower keeps you moving.

Under normal acceleration, you may hit these rpms. Trail? Rarely. There is no argument to be had when numbers are there.

I'm an engineer, prosthetists and a bio mechanist. How are those physics for ya? I believe I now earned the smart ass badge.
Don't really sit at peak all day in the mountains. Remember that loss affects the entire RPM range and any HP (torque) loss at those lower numbers creates a notable change. I moved from sea level up to 8500' in northwestern Colorado and my sport bike had a real hard time pulling the front wheel on the throttle in first (couldn't do it at all in second up there even with help). At sea level first and second would slap my face with the speedo (hunched over the tank) on the throttle it would come up so fast. The HP loss was VERY noticeable - at least to me - at altitude.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Don't really sit at peak all day in the mountains. Remember that loss affects the entire RPM range and any HP (torque) loss at those lower numbers creates a notable change. I moved from sea level up to 8500' in northwestern Colorado and my sport bike had a real hard time pulling the front wheel on the throttle in first (couldn't do it at all in second up there even with help). At sea level first and second would slap my face with the speedo (hunched over the tank) on the throttle it would come up so fast. The HP loss was VERY noticeable - at least to me - at altitude.
For our customers at altitude, we have a "high altitude pulley" that allows for the blower to be sun faster, making more boost, so the power losses with our system are negligible. We have had our system tested to over 13,000 FT with excellent results.

RIPP
Old 09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

For our customers at altitude, we have a "high altitude pulley" that allows for the blower to be sun faster, making more boost, so the power losses with our system are negligible. We have had our system tested to over 13,000 FT with excellent results.

RIPP
How easy is it to swap that pully if we're going back to lower elevations near sea level or will it not need to be swapped?

EOD
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by blackop4hire
How easy is it to swap that pully if we're going back to lower elevations near sea level or will it not need to be swapped?

EOD
Will not be necessary, calibrations loaded will already account for it.

RIPP
Old 09-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Default Burnout video

Today's fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-do280fqTrA Come and get it!!!

RIPP
Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Will not be necessary, calibrations loaded will already account for it.

RIPP
would this be an option for us owners wanting more power at lower alt and 93 octane?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Ordered yesterday for my 2013 jkur. Shipping says arrives Oct 2nd. Going to be a fun weekend next week
Old 09-26-2013, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Hey 12 Arctic did u order yet?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Put one on my Dads 13 JKU yesterday, gotta take it easy for the first 250 miles but so far driving great. Keeps throwing a "fuel too rich" code, but contacted Ripp and they said it was normal. May have to get one for my 12 JKUR also. I wonder if they will make a kit for the new 6.4 Hemi Power Wagon....
Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

So for an update we put the break in miles on the jeep, and by the time we did the "fuel too rich" check engine light stopped coming on as Ripp predicted. Jeep drives great and has plenty of power.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK RIPP Supercharger Sneak Peak - Worlds First Supercharged 3.6