Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

15" Alloy Wheels VS. 15" Steel Wheels

Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire

Are you still experiencing this? The wheels shouldn't be rubbing against anything. I assume you are hearing the clicking at all times and not only while turning?
Has he checked for rubbing on the rim?..if the noise is coming from there I'm assuming there would be marks on the rim?...
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't driven the jeep since saturday. I'll get it out tomorrow and see what I can figure out. There is still some stickiness on the tires which could be the cause, but I'm not sure. I don't think anything is rubbing. Why would turning matter? I checked full turn both ways with nothing touching. It feels and drives great. The clicking I could only here at less than 30 mph then it could not be heard. Weird... But I hope the rim isn't touching anything on the hub. I thought maybe the weights on the inside of the wheel maybe hitting the caliper. Possible?!? I may have to pull it off and see.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Just went out and examined the insides of the wheels. The wheels are fine, but the weights show signs of rubbing. I assume this is fine and the sound will quickly disappear. What do you guys think?? This shouldn't cause any harm should it?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Discount tire, I'm not trying to harass or cause trouble for posting here.. No complaint at all. I was just stumped? You guys are great!! Good service, good product!!! I am happy I found this thread thanks. Will post picks eventually. And I appreciate the help!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

This thread was really helpful with choosing my wheels and tires. I just purchased 5 35x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R and 5 15x8 Black Rock D- Windows online.

I see that the MT/Rs are backordered, is there an estimated in-stock date?

Thanks for all the great info/knowledge
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Let us know how it goes...

I have heard good stories about them taking care of mistakes. I am a member of another forum where a guy bought some tires from Discount and they acciedently put the correct brand and size of tire on his truck but the wrong load rating (LT265/70/17 is what he needed but they made a mistake and put P265/70/17s on). He drove on them for an entire year before he noticed. His receipt clearly said he paid for LT's so he went back and Discount apologized and put the right tires on at zero cost no questions asked.

I also know people who have bought tires and discount, drove on them for a week and decided they didn't like them and were able to return them no questions asked. (Don't you remember the old tv ads where the lady throws the tire through the window?)

As you pointed out the metric to inches conversion is confusing and most likely they got confused and made a mistake when they were selling you the tire, they are only human after all.
Ok time for the update on my tire debacle. First let me preface by saying after being out of state for job training fir 8 weeks, having to deal with parents health issues, I finally was able to get to Discount Tire to see what they would do to rectify the screwup and at the least get my scheduled rotation done.

To refresh the memories, lol, I went into at least purchase tires in the size of 33x12.50-17, and possibly new wheels if I could find something I liked. Well I did the Outlaw patrols, which at the time were out of stock and they didn't know how long back ordering would take. At that point I was beginning to lean towards waiting till they were back in stock, when the manager mentioned that he had a set of 4 Cooper SST's on Sahara 18" wheels for around $560+. I responded that would be fine AS LONG AS THEY ARE 33's, and he stated they were. So on they go, purchased spare Sahar 18" wheel for $100, new Cooper SST for $285ish, all the myriad of extra fees etc came to about $900, which is a pretty good deal or so I thought. Well 6 wks later after purchasing my shiny new AEV Procal I go to program in the tire size and they instruct you to go get a tape measure and measure the tire height. Actual tire height was 31.25". I expected at a loss of .5-1.0" at most. Copied down the metric tire size, accessed my trusty internet metic to inch tire conversion chart and lo and behold, 275/65-18's are 32" not 33". Previous stock tire size? 255/75-17 which is 32"

So that was the problem in a nutshell . Current money out to Discount so far $893. Money they made off my tire and wheel set $300.
Total so far $1193.

Offered rectification:

New spare $285, other 4 tires $40 each for total of $160. Grand total $445. $1193 - $445 = $748. Approx resale of 1 new and 4 old tires, $485. Total now $1233. total amount for 5 new Nitto Terra grappler 285/65-18 = $1619.10. Now combine that with the $1233 already made off of me with no tire size change, it equals $2852.10 for a 1" size increase. I looked at him and said "Are you seriously thinking I would allow my self to get pinched twice? I will keep what I have unless you plan to give me credit towards a future purchase?" Can't do that he says. Now granted I take responsibility for some of it. I could have went back to them sooner true, but life got in the way so sue me. Sad part is I have always been treated well up until this point and I like the way they do things but I will not be back after these tires are gone. Have I learned anything? Yeah always keep that damn metric to inch tire conversion chart handy and no matter how good you get treated, always expect to get crappy service until you have checked to make sure otherwise. I am sure for the most part and most of you Discount is a great company, it just did not work out the way for me.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JLsJK
Discount tire, I'm not trying to harass or cause trouble for posting here.. No complaint at all. I was just stumped? You guys are great!! Good service, good product!!! I am happy I found this thread thanks. Will post picks eventually. And I appreciate the help!
No problem at all. If anyone has any issues we want to help so we thank you for posting. If you go in for a rotation you can certainly have the weights moved. You really shouldn't have anything contacting your brakes.

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Ok time for the update on my tire debacle. First let me preface by saying after being out of state for job training fir 8 weeks, having to deal with parents health issues, I finally was able to get to Discount Tire to see what they would do to rectify the screwup and at the least get my scheduled rotation done.

To refresh the memories, lol, I went into at least purchase tires in the size of 33x12.50-17, and possibly new wheels if I could find something I liked. Well I did the Outlaw patrols, which at the time were out of stock and they didn't know how long back ordering would take. At that point I was beginning to lean towards waiting till they were back in stock, when the manager mentioned that he had a set of 4 Cooper SST's on Sahara 18" wheels for around $560+. I responded that would be fine AS LONG AS THEY ARE 33's, and he stated they were. So on they go, purchased spare Sahar 18" wheel for $100, new Cooper SST for $285ish, all the myriad of extra fees etc came to about $900, which is a pretty good deal or so I thought. Well 6 wks later after purchasing my shiny new AEV Procal I go to program in the tire size and they instruct you to go get a tape measure and measure the tire height. Actual tire height was 31.25". I expected at a loss of .5-1.0" at most. Copied down the metric tire size, accessed my trusty internet metic to inch tire conversion chart and lo and behold, 275/65-18's are 32" not 33". Previous stock tire size? 255/75-17 which is 32"

So that was the problem in a nutshell . Current money out to Discount so far $893. Money they made off my tire and wheel set $300.
Total so far $1193.

Offered rectification:

New spare $285, other 4 tires $40 each for total of $160. Grand total $445. $1193 - $445 = $748. Approx resale of 1 new and 4 old tires, $485. Total now $1233. total amount for 5 new Nitto Terra grappler 285/65-18 = $1619.10. Now combine that with the $1233 already made off of me with no tire size change, it equals $2852.10 for a 1" size increase. I looked at him and said "Are you seriously thinking I would allow my self to get pinched twice? I will keep what I have unless you plan to give me credit towards a future purchase?" Can't do that he says. Now granted I take responsibility for some of it. I could have went back to them sooner true, but life got in the way so sue me. Sad part is I have always been treated well up until this point and I like the way they do things but I will not be back after these tires are gone. Have I learned anything? Yeah always keep that damn metric to inch tire conversion chart handy and no matter how good you get treated, always expect to get crappy service until you have checked to make sure otherwise. I am sure for the most part and most of you Discount is a great company, it just did not work out the way for me.
I'm sorry to hear your local store wasn't able to offer something that would work for you. Please send us a PM here if we can help you more from this end.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-524028852.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	355307   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1765024323.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	355308   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1756187926.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	355309   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1776045983.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	355310  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JLsJK
Here's mine.
Very nice
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys, fantastic price, service, and delivery speed. Ordered last Monday and got them last Wednesday. MB72 17" with 37" MT/R's

W00T!!!

Last edited by Robar; 08-30-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Competing forum sticker

Quick Reply: 15" Alloy Wheels VS. 15" Steel Wheels