Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama

Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a few more Skyline Pics from our recon:

Bottom approach of Rocky Trail (4+ Rating) - looks easy enough, doesn't it?

Poser shot in solid rock creek bed.

Jason's new avatar.

Poor Wilbur - end of the ride, and all muddy. This is the kind where you have to hold the pressure washer a few inches away from the surface in order to knock it off the Jeep.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Oops, forgot to answer this - no facilities/amenities at the campground other than what you bring. It's just a roughly 10 acre open area where you can camp for the night, and build a fire.

They do have some maps/permits of Skyline there in a self-help box right as you enter the open area with the trailers.
Thanks, Gary. I guess this leads to the next question of how hard would it be for me to ride saturday, get off of the trails when we're all done and go spend the night in a hotel and return to ride Sunday. Are we going to be so embedded in this place that it would be impossible? or you think I could manage. (I don't mind losing sleep in the drive back and forth if it's possible... Gotta keep the woman happy. I see why everyone doesn't bring their girls on every ride now. lol)
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also... I know a couple of guys with stock JK unlimiteds (with rubi tires/wheels as the only real mod)... is there any point in inviting them? or would they not be able to do anything? Are there bypasses for the real bad stuff?
From the sounds of it, Sunday prolly wouldn't be tame enough, but if they'd be able to enjoy Saturday riding, I wouldn't mind them just riding in the back with me Sunday to get a better feel for some other stuff.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKBenB
Also... I know a couple of guys with stock JK unlimiteds (with rubi tires/wheels as the only real mod)... is there any point in inviting them? or would they not be able to do anything? Are there bypasses for the real bad stuff?
From the sounds of it, Sunday prolly wouldn't be tame enough, but if they'd be able to enjoy Saturday riding, I wouldn't mind them just riding in the back with me Sunday to get a better feel for some other stuff.
invite em... i am sure you can go around stuff.. if not, there will be plenty of winches present
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Default Saturday Loop

Originally Posted by JKBenB
On our last ride up the trail we plan to ride Saturday, two guys driving Unlimiteds with 3" lifts and 33's both sustained damage to suspension components - I believe much of that can be credited to the fact that it had turned dark when we hit the toughest part (we had gotten disoriented - read lost), and it was difficult to pick really good lines or to have someone help with the occasional spot. Additionally, I believe both vehicles may have been running too much air pressure and slid off their chosen lines occasionally onto some nasty rock outcrops.

Bottomline: I wouldn't recommend this ride to folks with stock JKs.
invite em... i am sure you can go around stuff.. if not, there will be plenty of winches present
No, no Jarrod.
Thanks, Gary. I guess this leads to the next question of how hard would it be for me to ride saturday, get off of the trails when we're all done and go spend the night in a hotel and return to ride Sunday. Are we going to be so embedded in this place that it would be impossible? or you think I could manage. (I don't mind losing sleep in the drive back and forth if it's possible... Gotta keep the woman happy. I see why everyone doesn't bring their girls on every ride now. lol)
Choosing to stay in a hotel will work out perfectly for you. It would only mean having to make a 30 minute drive Sunday morning to the campground for the start of that days ride. Hotel recommendations in Scottsboro are posted upstream in this thread - also check out the links Corey posted for maps/hints/etc.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

well hell.. i sure wont be doing any of those then. Not until I can figure out where the popping noise is coming from in my suspension. No bypasses on this ride? hell i may not go at all. I have had waaaayyy to many unexpected expenses this month to go out and break something on purpose.

corey change me to a maybe.

Last edited by 07JKX; 01-21-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07JKX
well hell.. i sure wont be doing any of those then. Not until I can figure out where the popping noise is coming from in my suspension. No bypasses on this ride? hell i may not go at all. I have had waaaayyy to many unexpected expenses this month to go out and break something on purpose.

I think you'll be just fine on Saturday. Sunday is a different matter, although I've seen you get dragged over Level 4+ stuff before (Top of 15 at Windrock), so if you enjoy that, you'll enjoy Sunday also. Come on over Jarrod . . . we need you in case some shadows show up on the Saturday evening campout.

Editorial: When planning the routes, I took heed of several posts early upstream in this thread that summarized, basically stated, "Don't bring us over to run some dirt roads, we wanna play in some neat stuff." I plan on riding these trails myself, and have no intentions of tearing up my JK. Hope folks don't start getting skittish now - I didn't plan some demolition derby, but don't drive over your stock JK, plain and simple.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-21-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKX

Son of a.....you have a valid point Jarrod

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
I think you'll be just fine on Saturday. Sunday is a different matter, although I've seen you get dragged over Level 4+ stuff before (Top of 15 at Windrock), so if you enjoy that, you'll enjoy Sunday also. Come on over Jarrod . . . we need you in case some shadows show up on the Saturday evening camp.

Editorial: When planning the routes, I took heed of several posts early upstream in this thread that summarized, basically stated, "Don't bring us over to run some dirt roads, we wanna play in some neat stuff." I plan on riding these trails myself, and have no intentions of tearing up my JK. Hope folks don't start getting skittish now - I didn't plan some demolition derby, but don't drive over your stock JK, plain and simple.
Gary, I hadn't decided on whether or not I was going to do both days but now I'v decided I will just do Saturday

But question for you....How would you compare the trails at Skyline to the ones we all did at the most recent trips to Windrock and Mountianside. I avoided #15 at Windrock for obvious reasons but I was able to everything else on both those trips, so I'm thikning (hoping) I'll be fine at Skyline....would this assumption be wrong?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dstack701
Son of a.....you have a valid point Jarrod

Gary, I hadn't decided on whether or not I was going to do both days but now I'v decided I will just do Saturday

But question for you....How would you compare the trails at Skyline to the ones we all did at the most recent trips to Windrock and Mountianside. I avoided #15 at Windrock for obvious reasons but I was able to everything else on both those trips, so I'm thikning (hoping) I'll be fine at Skyline....would this assumption be wrong?
Saturday will be a blast for your setup Dennis - stream crossings in the valley, rocky climbs and descents, with panoramic vistas from the ridge on top. The climb will be technical, but nothing you haven't seen at Windrock or Mountainside - it will just be longer (3 miles), and we'll be riding during daylight which will make a big difference. I have a feeling that the folks who go will come back saying Gary's ratings were way off - should have known cause he drives like a . . .
The guy in the below rig has wheeled this route and done fine. Surely you GA guys can keep up with us good 'ol boys from Alabama, especially me.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

ride might be a little interesting. We just had a tornado touch down in that area

Quick Reply: Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama