Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama

Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going for sure saturday, and may camp. Definitely not riding Sunday
Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07JKX
i have already done the "sunk in mud initiation" When we get there, please advise which holes to avoid Gary. I have not decided if I am running my 33's or 35's yet
There is no choice - install the 35's.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKBenB
I should probably avoid getting everything overly messy. I want this to be a good experience for her. So I second the notion for a heads up on which mud pits will be worse.
Worse is one of those relative terms.

This trail (see below pics) is not on the agenda, but I still need to chat with Corey. While we're on the subject of trails, I understood up stream in this thread that folks didn't want to just ride around on dirt trails (even if they do offer some spectacular views, and some fun "put a grin on your face" slipping and sliding), so what I've planned is a combination of trails that include several stream crossings and plenty of rock crawling. Both Saturday and Sunday are loops.

Saturday will be level 3 out of 5 difficulty.
Sunday definitely a 4+.
Note: In my mind, a dirt/gravel road is a 1. A very steep rocky trail that requires EVO coilovers, and 37's to avoid too much damage is a 5. Scale also assumes daylight, and somewhat dry ground.

Saturday's agenda is pretty much set, and should be a fun ride for all. Sunday will definitely be more challenging, and tough on anyone not running at least 35's. Agenda could be changed, but that's Chris and Corey's call.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Worse is one of those relative terms.

This trail (see below pics) is not on the agenda, but I still need to chat with Corey. While we're on the subject of trails, I understood up stream in this thread that folks didn't want to just ride around on dirt trails (even if they do offer some spectacular views, and some fun "put a grin on your face" slipping and sliding), so what I've planned is a combination of trails that include several stream crossings and plenty of rock crawling. Both Saturday and Sunday are loops.

Saturday will be level 3 out of 5 difficulty.
Sunday definitely a 4+.
Note: In my mind, a dirt/gravel road is a 1. A very steep rocky trail that requires EVO coilovers, and 37's to avoid too much damage is a 5. Scale also assumes daylight, and somewhat dry ground.

Saturday's agenda is pretty much set, and should be a fun ride for all. Sunday will definitely be more challenging, and tough on anyone not running at least 35's. Agenda could be changed, but that's Chris and Corey's call.

Thanks for the additional pictures and trail info. Call me back if you have some time.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Default 4+ trails

I think that the 4+ trails sound fun, as long as it is not 4+ feet deep in mud. 4+ feet tall boulders would be good.

Looking forward to another ride.

Jarrod, are you bringing enough for all of us?

Gary, Corey has you down for Saturday only, are you not canary'ing on Sun.

Last edited by ckivy; 01-20-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKBenB
Oh, and the girlfriend wanted me to ask if there are restrooms at the campsite... lol.
Oops, forgot to answer this - no facilities/amenities at the campground other than what you bring. It's just a roughly 10 acre open area where you can camp for the night, and build a fire.

They do have some maps/permits of Skyline there in a self-help box right as you enter the open area with the trailers.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Gary, do you have a head count or alist of folks that will be attending from the Huntsville thread, I believe that Corey has just posted the people that are coming from Ga.?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ckivy
Gary, do you have a head count or alist of folks that will be attending from the Huntsville thread, I believe that Corey has just posted the people that are coming from Ga.?
Huntsville Thread don't mix with GA folk.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wilky
Huntsville Thread don't mix with GA folk.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Update Info

Here is the info on meeting times, locations and maps so everyone has an idea on where we are going to be. Gary and I talked tonight and he has planned 2 great days on the trails!

If I'm missing anything please let me know, the links should work fine.

When: Jan. 30 & 31, 2010

Where: Skyline WMA

GA Convoy Meeting Place - 7:30am at waypoint "A"
Shell Gas Station
5160 Cowan Road Acworth, GA 30101-5197 (off exit #277 on 75 Northbound)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.131922&z=14

Here is a map of the WMA
http://outdooralabama.com/hunting/wi...Map%202010.pdf

Goggle Trip Map - Saturday Meeting Location is at waypoint "C" at 11:00am central time
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8,4.221497&z=9

Google Trip Map - Saturday Night Camping / Sunday Meeting Location is near waypoint "B" at 8:30am central time
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.527687&z=12

Quick Reply: Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama