Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama

Old 01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotels

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
We can plan out the time we are leaving when it gets closer and follow eachother over from the Atlanta area. From what I could tell on the hotels it shouldn't be too much.
Hotel wise, I'm recommending the Comfort Suites Inn, or the Hampton Inn both in Scottsboro, AL (they're roughly 1/2 mile apart from each other on the same road). Both hotels are practically brand new (maybe a year old or so), and should have nice clean "fresh" rooms.

Gary, any info on camping in the area?
I know which camping area seems like the most popular, partly due to it's location, but it may not be the most convenient in terms of where we end up riding (Skyline alone is like 47,000 acres).

Corey - Just noticed the Sunday call today (sorry, not a big cell phone person ). I'll return your call this evening, and we can chat about the type/extent of wheeling you'd like to get into. That'll help determine the choice of camping area.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

bump ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of riding are we looking at? Photos of previous rides? Almost 4 hour drive for me and most of it highway... in a 6" long arm lift, 36" IROKs and such might not be too much fun but if getting there is worth the drive... I could be persuaded to come!

Also where is everyone/anyone driving from? I am in Alpharetta but would like to follow. Won't be driving very fast to get there but could be fun. Probably do the hotel thing for the comfort in the evenings and the shower. I do enough camping when I take the BMW out to camp on US129/The Dragon during the spring/summer months.

Last edited by mdywglr4x4; 01-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mdywglr4x4
What kind of riding are we looking at? Photos of previous rides? Almost 4 hour drive for me and most of it highway... in a 6" long arm lift, 36" IROKs and such might not be too much fun but if getting there is worth the drive... I could be persuaded to come!

Also where is everyone/anyone driving from? I am in Alpharetta but would like to follow. Won't be driving very fast to get there but could be fun. Probably do the hotel thing for the comfort in the evenings and the shower. I do enough camping when I take the BMW out to camp on US129/The Dragon during the spring/summer months.
X2 on the type of riding and photos....

....and side note, I LOVE 129 and dragon. The skyway is a great ride as well although it's not the place for a wrangler, on-road wise. An audi is 10 times more fun. Last time I was up there in my old TJ, Killboy caught me going around the dragon, great photographer.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dstack701
X2 on the type of riding and photos....

....and side note, I LOVE 129 and dragon. The skyway is a great ride as well although it's not the place for a wrangler, on-road wise. An audi is 10 times more fun. Last time I was up there in my old TJ, Killboy caught me going around the dragon, great photographer.
You might enjoy these then... These were taken by me and show some of what we drive there...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Most will be leaving from the North West Atlanta area, I'll be leaving from Woodstock. We will meet and convoy over.

As for the type of trails, I think a little bit of everything. Stock to 37's will find something to due.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

You might enjoy these then... These were taken by me and show some of what we drive there...
Nice pictures, makes me want to jump in the car and go for a ride.

Most will be leaving from the North West Atlanta area, I'll be leaving from Woodstock. We will meet and convoy over.

As for the type of trails, I think a little bit of everything. Stock to 37's will find something to due.
Corey, is it worth the trip? Google says the trip will take 3.5 hours but with my heavy foot I think I can do it 3...

What's the schedule for each day? Maybe I can head over with you guys and head back Saturday night?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Default Skyline Wheeling Value??

Originally Posted by Dstack701
Corey, is it worth the trip?
If by worth it, you mean adding some nice deep scratches to your paint, along with possible suspension and body damage, then come on over - Skyline can accommodate you. If worth it means riding miles of ridge line dirt, and rocky ascents/descents then the Skyline area can provide that also. You want to assault mud hole, after mud hole, after mud hole during a couple mile stretch, then I can point the way.

Pics can be found in the Huntsville thread - search terms: Skyline pics

By the way, not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is no fee/charge to ride in these areas.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-15-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
By the way, not sure if this has been mentioned, but there is no fee/charge to ride in these areas.
Thanks for mentioning that, it's always a positive when you can wheel fo' free.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
If by worth it, you mean adding some nice deep scratches to your paint, along with possible suspension and body damage, then come on over - Skyline can accommodate you. If worth it means riding miles of ridge line dirt, and rocky ascents/descents then the Skyline area can provide that also. You want to assault mud hole, after mud hole, after mud hole during a couple mile stretch, then I can point the way.

Pics can be found in the Huntsville thread - search terms: Skyline pics

i am lookin forward to it... do we have a better game plan so far as for campers? will is be a campsite or can someone give me the coords for our morning trail head meet and can I camp in the WMA?

who is doing a 2 day?

Quick Reply: Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama