Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
The GA folks rode down (not up) the Level 4 today, and did just fine. Also heard the creeks had dropped considerably, so they were apparently cresting yesterday when we crossed them. There's talk of another Skyline ride later when the weather gets much nicer, and just for something out of the ordinary and completely crazy, when the trails are dry.
I can't wait to go back to Skyline. That was one of the best off raoding trips I've ever been on. Gary, thanks for being a great trail guide. I think everyone would have been pretty lost without you. I didn't get but to pics all day, and I think you already posted them.

When does Skyline close for the season? And I'm not sure the weather ever gets nicer at Skyline!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by racinfast002
However, we were sitting in Mcdolands at 930 am Saturday and I told you that I wasn't going to get stuck today, we both would have laughed.
That's true - I'm always amazed at how much a stock JK can handle . . . with a motivated driver.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bama JKX
I can't wait to go back to Skyline. That was one of the best off roading trips I've ever been on. Gary, thanks for being a great trail guide. I think everyone would have been pretty lost without you.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Bama JKX
When does Skyline close for the season? And I'm not sure the weather ever gets nicer at Skyline!!!
Closes end of April, which is late enough for some nice weather riding.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jgarner
So how many do we got going. I think you should do a sign up list..

1. jgarner (Jason) Riding saturday only.
Jason, both Corey and I called Saturday morning, after we chatted, trying to check your status. Hope you just changed your mind, and that we didn't lose you. We ended up driving 79 into TN to reach the first trailhead - never saw you.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

hope dennis made it home ok on his mismatch tires. He blew 2 out last night playing around when we got back to camp.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

hope dennis made it home ok on his mismatch tires. He blew 2 out last night playing around when we got back to camp.
I did...

Made it home (Thanks to Jarrod) and washed up the Jeep. Very easy due to the 45 degree weather considering the mud was frozen on when I left. The night time "swimming" help tremendously cleaning out the under carriage. While I was sad I couldn’t wheel today I knew it was the right thing to do so I wouldn’t hold anyone back on the really hard stuff. As everyone who posted before me said, cold weather and muddy trails. BUT….The Bama crew left us crazy Georgians to camp Saturday night. Well with encouragement from Corey and the Miller brewing company I decided to go play in the creek in the middle of the night. I will say I was not drunk while driving, we were just having fun and I pushed it too far.

I climbed up a ridge while turning a hard left, this caused my front passenger tire to go up and inward and ultimately come in contact with the clevis pin that holds my TF quick disco on the storage bolt (While in the disconnected position).

This little pin then stabbed the inner sidewall tearing a gash I could stick my finger in. It also tore up the inner tread all the way around the inside of the tire.

No biggie, we changed the tire with the (never before used) spare. I wanted to get one last picture in the creek but as I turned left to go back in the creek, the tire we just changed blew out in the same fashion. We just assumed I hit someone on the ridge that caused the first flat and didn’t look at the pin. Otherwise I would have corrected the issue before going back to play around. That left me with 3 good tires to get home on….well thank god Jarrod brought an entire set of 33in ATs. I slapped two of those on the front and left two of my 35s on the rear to get me home. That was a fun ride home. Now I got to see what the pro-rated price on a never before used tire is gonna cost me?...FREE?

It was fun guys and Thanks again to everyone who helped me get out of the ditch and Jarrod for the wheels. The rest of my pictures are at http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

Chris doesn't like when his wood is wet

Last edited by Dstack701; 01-31-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

can you back up? More? More? Ok thats good. What you can't move now? LOL. That was NASTY down there
Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like a good time! Glad everyone survived with minimal carnage.

Anthony
Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dennis, thanks for getting stuck so we could have a recovery 101 class with Chris and Corey.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

I don't remember this trail.

Must be getting old(er).

Quick Reply: Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama