Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama

Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ckivy
I picked up a hitch carrier that I'll bring wood on , snow is a good insulator on top of a tent.
I got two bins full of fire wood in the back right now.

Originally Posted by racinfast002
its raining and sleeting right now....boo
Same here, or at least it was for a little bit.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Default Ride Game Plan (as of Friday mid-afternoon)

Things are starting to shut down here in Huntsville (schools, some businesses), but no roads yet. Folks I know who live in Scottsboro say there is about an inch of slush on the roads. I think up in the mountains it is snow (at least that's what I'm hoping). I did see a couple of cars during lunch driving, in the rain, down a major Huntsville thoroughfare with what looked to be at least two inches of snow on their vehicles. From what I know (which may be total fantasy), just several miles north of Huntsville, it's hammering snow.

So . . . although it has been raining solid and steady here in the city, there may be snow in the mountains. Best case several inches. Worst case, it'll be wet, cold, muddy, and slushy on those trails.

At this point, I plan to meet up with anyone showing up tomorrow. We may, actually make that will, adjust the trail ride to take into account the trail conditions. In other words, we want this to be a fun AND safe ride for those participating.

Corey, Chris and I are in touch and will keep everyone posted if there are any changes. As a side note, the GA guys should consider finding out if their planned route is going to be clear, shut down, detoured, etc.

I'm excited about the prospect of a snowy trail ride.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

unless it all freezes tonight, its definately going to be muddy as all get out.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
I'm excited about the prospect of a snowy trail ride.
Snow on the trail will make for a good photo op. I agree that everyone needs to be safe. Lets have fun.

Muddy, I believe that you are correct, but with a couple of dollars and a pressure washer that can be fixed.

See everybody tommorrow.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be LONG day for me
Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

I want to participate in this ride b/c I think it will probably be one of the only times you guys get to play in the snow covered mountains. I've done it a million times, so it's always fun to see rookies do it I say that with affection b/c it totally changes how you wheel.
Having said that...my butt may be headed to Lookout Mountain tomorrow morning vs. trail riding because Cloudmont Ski Resort is predicting up to 6 inches of fresh powder tonight and I feel the need to get my shred on.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Bring the board and we will take turns of the top of skyline.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Default Snow

Originally Posted by ckivy
Bring the board and we will take turns of the top of skyline.
Called one of the local businesses on top of Skyline - they said there is a mixture of sleet and snow falling at the moment, and speculate that there is maybe one inch of snow on the ground presently. They said it was probably higher out on the trails in the surrounding mountains.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Gary, in the snow your jeep will disappear.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

This is gonna be fun....I will be bringing two tubs of wood, a gas chainsaw (incase we get into something crazy) Cold sleeping gear, camping chair, water, lunch/snacks, and some cold BEER

Did I miss anything or does anyone need anything?

I have to head down to the tavern for work tonight. Won't be home until at least 3:30am. I will not be able to check the thread for updates. So, if something does change, come down and have a ......If nothing changes...see everyone at the gas station in the morning.

Quick Reply: Trail Ride - Jan. 30 & 31 Skyline WMA - Alabama