Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.
View Poll Results: What weekend would you like to take a trip to Tellico?
October 17-19
17.65%
October 24-26
5.88%
November 7-9
64.71%
November 14-16
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Tellico OHV Trip!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tn_dodge
My name is David. Wife's name is Tara. And we will have our 4 & 3 year old daughters with us
Cool, Corey here! My 4 year old boy will also be there!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hurstrescue
I'll see you all there Saturday AM.
Ok, haven't heard from you in a while, wasn't sure if you were still going!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Hope all of yall have fun, maybe I can make the next trip.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Packed and ready!! Me plus CJ.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SONIC
Heading to knoxville at about 3 tomorrow.
What time are you guys leaving crawfords?

And corey does your cell work out there do you know?
Not sure if the cell works at crawfords. We will be leaving crawfords about 9:30am Saturday to head to the paystation at trail #1.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Not sure if the cell works at crawfords. We will be leaving crawfords about 9:30am Saturday to head to the paystation at trail #1.
Question for those who have been in this area before: Since I'm planning to drive in Sat AM, if I'm coming from Cleveland on Hwy 74 (129, 19), would it be better to go all the way to the campground, or could I save 15-20 minutes by just driving to the trailhead to meet up with everyone? Thanks.

Also, are we planning to separate into a group for Level 1-2 trails (basically stock JKs), and another group for a more aggressive trail ride?

Getting excited about this trip.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Same question lol
I wont be there till sat AM and i have NO IDEA where im going.
Im going to trust to google maps. Bad idea i know but its the best i can do!

looks hard to find lol
Go to Crawford's website - they say explicitly to not trust web map engines for directions to their campground. I plan to plug in the GPS coordinates, if the campground is the best place to meet (however, I am trying to avoid driving 15 minutes to the campground only to turn around and drive 15 minutes back out to a point I just passed on the Hwy).
Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Found this interesting summary of Tellico trails on "the Jeep site that may not be mentioned". It is very recent, and was posted by someone who apparently frequents the area quite a bit.

-----------------------------------------

For any newbies to wheeling that don't wanna get their rig scratched up or never has been to tellico, it isn't nearly as bad as it seems and if you want, I can fit one more person in my TJ if anyone wants to ride with me. During this last winter they closed down the park to do repairs to the trails and they are alot smoother. Ive been riding ATV's, Jeeps & Bronco's up there for 2-3 years so heres my take on the trail ratings as of 2008 (updated trails).

Trail 1: Not really a trail, more like a dirt road that connects to Upper 2, Upper 4 and Lower 5. Still need to be very careful driving it because the gravel is slick and the trail gets kinda narrow in spots.

Trail 2: I know its rated Extreme but have never seen it in person. Lower 2 has been gated off but somewhere near the state line is a dirt road that connects to it and you can still get on the trail from upper 2.

Trail 3: Rated "More Difficult" but I find this to be a big misprint. %95 of this trail can be done in 2wd. I also find it to be a very boring trail.

Trail 4: I rate this one Mild/moderate. Ive done it in my TJ before I lifted it but it drug bottom alot but most of the lower part of 4 can be done in 2wd. Once you get to the fain's ford crossing, 4x4 is a must yet its still pretty easy. The water there is only about hub deep at the most so that shouldn't be a problem.

Trail 5: Most of it is a narrow gravel road but once you get to the actual trail the use of 4x4 is almost definite. The trail is pretty short and connects to 4 at the upper part of it. I rate it Mild just because its narrow, up hill, and the upper part has rocks like soccer balls which slide out from under the tires very easily.

Trail 6: Minus the upper end of 6 where it connects to peckerwood (never drove that part), This is my favorite trail in the entire park. I rate it Mild/Moderate because theres quite a bit of technical driving on the upper part yet its a very fun trail. Plenty of picture opps. on this trail

Trail 7: "Peckerwood". Never seen it but my 07 map rates it extreme.

Trail 8: Never seen it but my 07 map rates it mild/moderate BUT this trail is closed so there ain't really much use in mentioning it.

Trail 9: "Slickrock" is rated extreme but is also closed.

Trail 10: Shouldn't be on any map but its a ATV only trail and IIRC its still open. There are plenty of videos by a buddy of mine on youtube (ncmuddman or something like that).

Trail 11: This is the only extreme trail Ive seen in person besides the first 200ft of lower trail 12 and extreme is almost a understatement. This one is insane..The chances of a roll over, body damage or other serious carnage is almost definite if you don't pay serious attention lol

Trail 12: "SchoolBus" is extreme. Ive only seen the lower and a little of the upper part but its definitely a wicked trail.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Junkie

AAAAAAH
how do i get there then lol no gps
Go to Crawford's Campground web site, and print out their directions, and use their map (also upstream post #122).
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Junkie

Default Another Map

Quick Reply: Tellico OHV Trip!