Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

July 18 Trail Ride - Mountainside ORP (Gadsden, AL)

Old 07-05-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say I'd be interested in goin to mountainside. It'd be QUITE a long drive, but it looks like fun. I'd be hard pressed to be a definite "yes" until closer to time though due to physics and chem, so I'm afraid I'm just "interested" at this point.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKBenB
I'd say I'd be interested in goin to mountainside. It'd be QUITE a long drive, but it looks like fun. I'd be hard pressed to be a definite "yes" until closer to time though due to physics and chem, so I'm afraid I'm just "interested" at this point.
Ben, let me know if your school schedule opens up, I have a room you can stay in to cut the trip into 2 days if you want (I live in Woodstock).
Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Yes, I live near TN and want to meet up for the ride.
You live in Alabama and don't qualify to be a Tennessen, you have more than 5 teeth!

Are you still liking that winch?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
You live in Alabama and don't qualify to be a Tennessen, you have more than 5 teeth!

Are you still liking that winch?
Well technically you didn't say we had to live in Tennessee, just near Tennessee (I figured you really meant near Alabama - i.e., like someone in Tennessee, but thought I'd be a bit cantankerous.).

Superwinch EPi9.0s - love it.

Two of us had to winch out recently on a very steep hill. The first guy's winch starting grinding and then smoking, plus it took forever to pull his vehicle up (it wasn't a Warn or Superwinch). When it was my turn, I was a little concerned, but the Superwinch looked like it was using warp speed compared to the other, and had absolutely no problem dragging me out. Sweet!!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Well technically you didn't say we had to live in Tennessee, just near Tennessee (I figured you really meant near Alabama - i.e., like someone in Tennessee, but thought I'd be a bit cantankerous.).

Superwinch EPi9.0s - love it.

Two of us had to winch out recently on a very steep hill. The first guy's winch starting grinding and then smoking, plus it took forever to pull his vehicle up (it wasn't a Warn or Superwinch). When it was my turn, I was a little concerned, but the Superwinch looked like it was using warp speed compared to the other, and had absolutely no problem dragging me out. Sweet!!
Thanks for the info on the winch, are you still happy with the synthetic line over the steel cable?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Thanks for the info on the winch, are you still happy with the synthetic line over the steel cable?
I can't compare since I've never had steel, but the synthetic is sure easy to handle and is holding up well thus far (plus the blue line looks cool in pics).
Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

There are a number of nice trails that you could ride (I've been there with stock TJs, see ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ide#post769901), but you'd have to let the group head off without you on others. Good news though is you'd be able to easily meet back up again as there are lots of loops - enough to keep you busy for the day.

Mountainside was one of the first parks I wheeled in, and I learned a lot about my JK's significant capabilities there (especially made me want to start making mods to add to those capabilities). Been there three times now, and look forward to returning.
my x has the 17" wheels and the 32" wrangler at's with 3:73 gears and the trailer towing package. i does well in the dry, but the at's leave a bit to be desired in mud. i would still like to come if my schedule permits. i work on the road and can't make positive plans without using vacation time. of course there is still time for a wheel and tire change between now and then
Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks a ton, man. I've still got my apartment in ATL for now, so I could crash there. That lease runs out mid-August, so I might take you up on that in the future.

It'd be nice to ride along with you guys though, so I might would head up and meet you somewhere.

I also might be bringing company... too early to tell on that as well, but I figure I should mention it as a possibility.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

so is the mountainside trip still on??? team lead?? what time?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Check out post #1 for updates!

Quick Reply: July 18 Trail Ride - Mountainside ORP (Gadsden, AL)