Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I may just do it myself. I'm not worried about the mechanical aspects, i.e removing the axles, rings, carriers, pinions, drive shafts, bearings, etc. It's shimming the gears properly is what I'm worried about. Too loose will cause premature wear and excessive noise and too tight will also cause excessive wear and additonal drag/friction/heat. Some folks shim the ring to the pinion using color paint or wax while others use micrometers.

Maybe I need to have a garage party with everyone's favorite beverage and we can all learn how to do it on my Jeep
Old 02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NOBLING
Maybe I need to have a garage party with everyone's favorite beverage and we can all learn how to do it on my Jeep
Learn on your JK? I'm all about that - count me in!!

Seriously, I would love to help, but wonder if we'd all be getting in a bit over our heads. I've seen lots of posts where guys on this forum are disassembling almost anything and everything bolted on their JKs, but as a general rule, I see almost everyone backing down from a re-gear install. I'd definitely mull this one over long and hard.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Default Body Lift

Recon,

Did you have any transmission shifting issues after your BL? Also wondering if you tried the driveway adjustment mentioned in this thread ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/more-body-lift-problem-need-help-please-67802/ .

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 02-28-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Recon,

Did you have any transmission shifting issues after your BL? Also wondering if you tried the driveway adjustment mentioned in this thread ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67802 .
I have had NO problems what so ever. I did not do the driveway leveling as discussed. Just took my time. I have noticed guys talking about having to buy larger bolts etc. The reason for this is because they did not notice the two bolts in the rear are larger than the others you remove and the instructions dont tell you this. And two of the pucks have larger holes in them to match up with the two new large bolts for the rear. Sounds simple right...well the diameter increase in the bolts is so small that it can go unnoticed when you reassemble.
I also ended up using both the instructions that came with it and WOL's writeup. Neither are perfect writeups for the 08 2 Door.
If you decide to take the plunge, let me know and I can come over and point out the details everyone else missed.
BTW, my BL is the M.O.R.E. 1" lift.
I can also show you how I trimmed my inner boot before you make the cuts on yours.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
I have had NO problems what so ever. I did not do the driveway leveling as discussed. Just took my time. I have noticed guys talking about having to buy larger bolts etc. The reason for this is because they did not notice the two bolts in the rear are larger than the others you remove and the instructions dont tell you this. And two of the pucks have larger holes in them to match up with the two new large bolts for the rear. Sounds simple right...well the diameter increase in the bolts is so small that it can go unnoticed when you reassemble.
I also ended up using both the instructions that came with it and WOL's writeup. Neither are perfect writeups for the 08 2 Door.
If you decide to take the plunge, let me know and I can come over and point out the details everyone else missed.
BTW, my BL is the M.O.R.E. 1" lift.
I can also show you how I trimmed my inner boot before you make the cuts on yours.
Thanks Recon - would like to check the BL details out as I know you're driving a manual too. I've vacillated back and forth on whether to take the plunge, but have restrained myself due to the cuts (trimming) one has to make on the inner shift boot.

Well off to the circus - and no, I'm not talking about work (typically only there during the week).
Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Well it looks like I'm halfway to having a winch now. Here's what JK-Rubi and I worked on today.

The skid plate doesn't exactly have the advanced lightweight aerodynamic design of the factory installed air dam, but it will have to do.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Hey Jason,

Enjoyed meeting you today out at Thomas Pit BBQ. Your JK is looking good, and I really like what you did to your stock wheels - you should consider posting some shots of those as I thought they looked great.

Hopefully you can join us for a ride in the near future - those 35's are probably feeling sad and neglected just sitting around in the garage.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

We performed a fit check of the MOPAR skid to my ARB bumper prior to installing on Dennys, but it was a no go - would have to cut my shackle mounts in order to even get close to fitting, and even then I'm not certain that would work.

If it had been close, I'd have ordered one immediately - it's solid and would have protected my elec-disco's nicely.

Denny's bumper turned out real nice - it's begging for a winch and lights now.

Originally Posted by Denny2565
The skid plate doesn't exactly have the advanced lightweight aerodynamic design of the factory installed air dam, but it will have to do.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 02-28-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

Default Hi-Lift Mount

Denny - here's what I was referring to with respect to mounting a Hi-Lift on my ARB bumper. Definitely easier to access than when tucked on the back bumper behind the spare.

[Pic and JK belongs to forum member Boots]
Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Denny - here's what I was referring to with respect to mounting a Hi-Lift on my ARB bumper. Definitely easier to access than when tucked on the back bumper behind the spare.

[Pic and JK belongs to forum member Boots]
Boy that thing is kinda stuck out there isnt it

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat