Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 01-29-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about converting my bumper to a stubbie sometime this weekend...is anyone game?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by In5ane
Gary - Performing tonight live, the newest band in Huntsville "30MPGJK"....

You will hear hits like:

"Take it Easy"
"I Can't Drive 55"
"Slow Ride"
"By The Time I Get to Skyline"
"6 Days On The Road"
"Take The Long Way Home"
"Slow Motion"
"Driving You Slow: A Ballad about a man his JK"

...and many...many more! Don't miss out, get your tickets now!

Gary, you shouldn't have deleted your posts, I was laughing so hard at 6am this morning!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON

Gary, you shouldn't have deleted your posts, I was laughing so hard at 6am this morning!
I thought it was pretty funny too...all in fun...all in fun!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Ok, got the lift...now tires.

Ok, it's between the maxxis bighorn and Hankook MT. I can get the hankook in 285/75/17 with my stock tire trade ins for $600 out the door. Or, if I use stock 16" steelies, I can get maxxis bighorns 285/75/16 w/tradein for around $400 out the door. However, i would have to use the steelies instead of my rubi wheels. Any opinions on these two tires. Guy at tire store said they stopped carrying bighorns because they are nearly impossible to balance. Also said the hankook's get a lot of miles before wearing out. if i got the bighorns on my steelies...then i could change out tires when need be. looking for some "friendly" input...."GARY" lol just messin with ya.

oh, they also had one set of the rubi bfg's that I could get for $400 out the door.

Last edited by In5ane; 01-30-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm thinking about converting my bumper to a stubbie sometime this weekend...is anyone game?
Make sure you leave the plastic on and just cut off the ends. I took the plastic off of my original bumper awhile back and there isnt much behind it. Thus one of the reasons why I went to an aftermarket so soon...cause I jacked up the stock one.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, it's between the maxxis bighorn and Hankook MT. I can get the hankook in 285/75/17 with my stock tire trade ins for $600 out the door. Or, if I use stock 16" steelies, I can get maxxis bighorns 285/75/16 w/tradein for around $400 out the door. However, i would have to use the steelies instead of my rubi wheels. Any opinions on these two tires. Guy at tire store said they stopped carrying bighorns because they are nearly impossible to balance. Also said the hankook's get a lot of miles before wearing out. if i got the bighorns on my steelies...then i could change out tires when need be. looking for some "friendly" input...."GARY" lol just messin with ya.

oh, they also had one set of the rubi bfg's that I could get for $400 out the door.
I would go with the Hankook MT's, I haven't hear a that much good about the Bighorns.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Dewayne - I'd go with the Hankook MT . . . in fact, I almost pulled the trigger on those, but then found a great deal on the DC Mud Countrys. There's a dealer over in Decatur that I was going to buy from as they had the best price, and "free" mounting - look up Hankook distributors and you'll find them.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Default Back by Popular Demand (sort of)

Chatted briefly with Dewayne today about the dinner gathering last night. He said they had a good time, and plan to possibly get together a couple times each month.

For the next meeting I'll share some of my MPG secrets, but the most exciting topics will be covered by these Huntsville area luminaries:
In5ane Dewayne - "The Finer Points of Mall Crawling", with emphasis on proper tire pressure, choosing the best line when parking, one spot or two, plus his celebrated, Three Easy Steps to Avoiding Curb Rash.

bama-jk - "Advanced Mudding 579" . . . subtitled, "Wedding Anniversaries, Mud Pits, and your Wife - What do they have in common?"

08RedRecon - "How to Squeal your wheels in 2nd Gear, and still get 25MPG." Yup, that's what he says.

Denny2565 - "How to Convert your Sahara into an X for less than $5000."
Come join us for some lively discussion, and No, it won't be lively cause we're talking politics - we'll be talking Jeep JKs and smack.

Edit: Just found out that unfortunately, 08{GA}RUBICON, our surprise guest speaker from GA, will not be able to make it, so his special topic, "How to Integrate your Drivetrain with a Rock Slab" will have to be postponed to a later date.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Junkie

Default Brake Lines

bama or Dewayne,

What, if anything, are you guys planning to do with regard to your brake lines? Presently, I believe that they are my JK's limiting component during flex (long story, but Teraflex packaged shocks designed for a 4" lift with their 2.5" coil lift).

Looks like my choices are brake lines designed for:

0-2" of lift, or
3-4" of lift.

I'm thinking of going with the 0-2" length, as I believe the 3-4" length might leave too much "slop" in the brake line.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
bama or Dewayne,

What, if anything, are you guys planning to do with regard to your brake lines? Presently, I believe that they are my JK's limiting component during flex (long story, but Teraflex packaged shocks designed for a 4" lift with their 2.5" coil lift).

Looks like my choices are brake lines designed for:

0-2" of lift, or
3-4" of lift.

I'm thinking of going with the 0-2" length, as I believe the 3-4" length might leave too much "slop" in the brake line.
Yeah the 0-2" lines should do the job. I had though about making a drop bracket, but might just get new lines.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat