Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi

We could paint the hood like these guys, or just go buy the PSC hood louvers (although I must admit, they probably wouldn't look good on silver JKUs).
Hahaha. The ones you posted are just hood stickers of the mopar variety. Come stock on some special editions.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Junkie

Default Long-chain synthetic polymer fiber Hood Decals

Originally Posted by ckivy
Hahaha. The ones you posted are just hood stickers of the mopar variety. Come stock on some special editions.
I know ( ), but I wanted to stick with the painting theme that the Jordon/Micah banter had digressed onto.

Seeing those vinyl decals are what helped push me pass the hesitation I first experienced when I saw the PSC hood louver - that "look" is really beginning to grow on me.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

Default Screen Display

Switched back to the forum's old style "JK grey [sic]" screen color display. My eyes are already thanking me.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Default Transmission Rebuild

Originally Posted by Dstack701
I love the Rigid LEDs and want more....although its not necessary at all. I should receive my nice little brackets to replace the zip ties on my 10 inch bar on the bumper....however, my Jeep is sitting at the dealer getting the transmission rebuilt....for the second time within a year. AND its covered under the lifetime powertrain for the second time. While they will have it for more than a week....That's much better than a $3000 bill.
Dennis - did all go well with the tranny rebuild (i.e., is it ready for Moab this spring - I think Chris is on the brink of leading an encore peregrination)?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Another Huntsville owner to join the ranks. New to Jeeps, best friend had a few when I was growing up, so I spent a lot of time in them, but never owned one.

I had to go to Franklin, TN to get the one I wanted, Landers tried to get the options I wanted, but they just didn't try hard enough (IMO). I wanted to find my Rubicon rather than order, I was worried my USAA discounts wouldn't apply to an order (I know differently now), so I had Landers trying for a dealer swap, but they just didn't seem too enthusiastic to make the sale happen.

I've got a noob question for you guys, should my Rubicon scare the crap out of me at 80+ mph on the highway? I got pushed to the side while driving down I-65, (wind or bump I guess) so I corrected, but it kinda over corrected, so I corrected again, and got into this whole mini-fishtail swaying scenario. No biggie, but it happened a few times, so I finally slowed way down and took Cruise control off. Maybe I'm just not use to driving such a big vehicle, my past 3 vehicles are Mustang GT, Mustang GT, Infinit G37....so going from sports cars to a Jeep may have been it, but it was definitely a pucker factor there.

I have tons of questions and requests.....but I'll quit now, can't have my first post in the Huntsville area thread turning into a book
Old 11-13-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the Huntsville Area thread and to the forum Dewflop.

Not sure about the fishtail thing, but I would slow down a tad until you're more acclimated to the handling (I'm guessing handling was better after you did slow down). Ask away on your questions - a lot of folks watch this thread and can provide sound advice/recommendations. We meet every so often for lunch just to chit chat and discuss possible rides, modifications, etc, so watch for the invite (we're not a club so the Meet 'n Greets aren't formal - just some folks interested in talking JKs).

Nice Rubicon by the way. You're the 3rd guy on the forum in our area to buy a 2012 so you've got some guys here to bounce ideas off of - look forward to hearing more from you.

Originally Posted by Dewflop
Another Huntsville owner to join the ranks. New to Jeeps, best friend had a few when I was growing up, so I spent a lot of time in them, but never owned one.

I had to go to Franklin, TN to get the one I wanted, Landers tried to get the options I wanted, but they just didn't try hard enough (IMO). I wanted to find my Rubicon rather than order, I was worried my USAA discounts wouldn't apply to an order (I know differently now), so I had Landers trying for a dealer swap, but they just didn't seem too enthusiastic to make the sale happen.

I've got a noob question for you guys, should my Rubicon scare the crap out of me at 80+ mph on the highway? I got pushed to the side while driving down I-65, (wind or bump I guess) so I corrected, but it kinda over corrected, so I corrected again, and got into this whole mini-fishtail swaying scenario. No biggie, but it happened a few times, so I finally slowed way down and took Cruise control off. Maybe I'm just not use to driving such a big vehicle, my past 3 vehicles are Mustang GT, Mustang GT, Infinit G37....so going from sports cars to a Jeep may have been it, but it was definitely a pucker factor there.

I have tons of questions and requests.....but I'll quit now, can't have my first post in the Huntsville area thread turning into a book

Old 11-14-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I drove to Nashville yesterday (live about 20 miles north) and the wind was blowing me everywhere. It was even trying to lift my hood it was so bad. You will get used to how in handles fairly quickly but it is definitely not going to handle like your previous rides. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

So my baby is now 4 days old, and I love everything......EXCEPT....who put night lights in place of my headlights? I went to pick my kid up after JROTC practice last night and had to pull over because I just couldn't believe my headlights were actually on.

My plans for my first mods were going to be fuel cap, tail lamp guards and slush mats (little presents my kids could put under the tree for me) but this headlight thing changes my plans a bit.

I thought I researched this whole Jeep purchase extensively, can't believe I missed the headlight issue. So I started reading today, and got excited when I saw the LED headlight replacement mod....then I saw the price, I'm not putting 800 bucks into headlights. Then I read about the sylvania silverstar bulbs, they seem like a popular choice, but a lot of people say they aren't that great of an upgrade.

So what did you guys do? What advice do you guys have for me?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Default Headlights

I'm running the IPFs, but I'm not sure they're that much better than the PIAA bulb upgrades I ran prior to them (here's a link containing more info on them ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post2027594 ). Lots of choices out there - you're doing the right thing reading differing threads about the multiple options available to address this deficiency in our JKs.

So my baby is now 4 days old, and I love everything......EXCEPT....who put night lights in place of my headlights? I went to pick my kid up after JROTC practice last night and had to pull over because I just couldn't believe my headlights were actually on.

My plans for my first mods were going to be fuel cap, tail lamp guards and slush mats (little presents my kids could put under the tree for me) but this headlight thing changes my plans a bit.

I thought I researched this whole Jeep purchase extensively, can't believe I missed the headlight issue. So I started reading today, and got excited when I saw the LED headlight replacement mod....then I saw the price, I'm not putting 800 bucks into headlights. Then I read about the sylvania silverstar bulbs, they seem like a popular choice, but a lot of people say they aren't that great of an upgrade.

So what did you guys do? What advice do you guys have for me?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Hey dewflop,

Here's a short list of the headlight replacements that I've seen for the JKs. They use a 7" round headlight.

These are the ones JK Rubi was referring to:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_6100.htm

I haven't heard any reviews good or bad about these:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_301.htm

I've seen several show JKs running these LED (model 8700) headlights, but I haven't heard anything about their performance. These are different than the LED lights you were referring to. I think they're a good bit cheaper too:
ht tp://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/?filter=LED#product=100159"]http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/?filter=LED#product=100159

And I'm guessing these are the trucklite LED lights that blew your mind earlier:
ht tp://www.rebeloffroad.com/Truck_Lite_s/183.htm"]http://www.rebeloffroad.com/Truck_Lite_s/183.htm

Truck lite is coming out with a new LED headlight that they displayed at SEMA this year. I think it will be slightly less expensive because it uses far fewer LEDs. It's nowhere near as cool as their other model though:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...6&d=1320345721

Good luck finding one that works for you! I'd be interested in hearing your experience as I've considered changing out my headlights as well.

Micah

Last edited by Absolute; 11-18-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: non sponsor clickys

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat