Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmoiv
i'll post better pics if you want, but like i said, it is EASY, oh and he's not likely gonna do $800
Attachment 225503Attachment 225504Attachment 225505Attachment 225506
ok that looks good. i see you have air raid intake on yours. how do you like it what was your true oppinion on it? or if im thinking of doing a snorkel should i just not do air raid? i already have an air raid throttle body spacer. and i am happy with it
Old 10-19-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chattownjk3
ok that looks good. i see you have air raid intake on yours. how do you like it what was your true oppinion on it? or if im thinking of doing a snorkel should i just not do air raid? i already have an air raid throttle body spacer. and i am happy with it
it did help me some, but as you can see, i am still running stock tires. I live on Green Mountain in huntsville, and my JK used to hunt between 2nd and 3rd gear going up. Now it locks and unlocks the torque converter. I get 19 MGP city, but i didn't have the jeep long enough without the CAI to really get a feel of what it was like before. I get nervous crossing water, hydrolock, but i do feel like it is a better design than factory, water can just drain away if it does splash into the intake box. I am considering fabricating a cover for the box, so it can only get air from the grill, and any water splashed on top will not get to the filter.

by the way. jealous of your jeep, i was looking for a flame red 2007 JKU and had to settle for Red Rock. i like mine, but i love that flame red color
Old 10-19-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jimmoiv
it did help me some, but as you can see, i am still running stock tires. I live on Green Mountain in huntsville, and my JK used to hunt between 2nd and 3rd gear going up. Now it locks and unlocks the torque converter. I get 19 MGP city, but i didn't have the jeep long enough without the CAI to really get a feel of what it was like before. I get nervous crossing water, hydrolock, but i do feel like it is a better design than factory, water can just drain away if it does splash into the intake box. I am considering fabricating a cover for the box, so it can only get air from the grill, and any water splashed on top will not get to the filter.

by the way. jealous of your jeep, i was looking for a flame red 2007 JKU and had to settle for Red Rock. i like mine, but i love that flame red color
Thank you very much and actually it took me a few months to actually find a jeep i tried to buy a red rock like yours about a year ago but we were just not meeting on the price and i found mine in flordia for such a steal i could not pass it up and at first was not looking for the bright red but as soon as i saw it it was love at first sight ha. ill have to post some pics on this thread so you can see more than just my avatar pic.
Have you heard anything about the volant intake and snorkel set up? That is at the moment what i am leaning towards any thoughts or know anyone that is running this set up. I have heard snorkel hurts performance and mpg and i have heard it helps i want to know the real truth about it I drive me jeep at least 50 miles a day so gas sucks now and i do not want to do something to it if it will hurt it bad.
But i will deffentatly be doing this to my grill what you have on yours soon. did you paint black or bed line it? if you bed line do you have to sand it?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	225723Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0004.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	225724
favorite pictures
Old 10-19-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Hey guys,
I was looking for a good resource in locating trails around the area, and I came up empty handed. I wasn't sure if you guys were in this boat too.

Anhow, I was thinking about starting a thread to list all of the trails in the area - up to about 2 hours away from Huntsville. I only know the location of a few places (chigger canyon and a few of the off road parks). So I was wondering if you guys could list any trails you know about, where they're located (GPS coords or address), and how hard they are. I'll start compiling a list, and I'll either put a website up or start a new thread listing the reqions.

Any thoughts?

Micah
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burbingus
Hey guys,
I was looking for a good resource in locating trails around the area, and I came up empty handed. I wasn't sure if you guys were in this boat too.

Anhow, I was thinking about starting a thread to list all of the trails in the area - up to about 2 hours away from Huntsville. I only know the location of a few places (chigger canyon and a few of the off road parks). So I was wondering if you guys could list any trails you know about, where they're located (GPS coords or address), and how hard they are. I'll start compiling a list, and I'll either put a website up or start a new thread listing the reqions.

Any thoughts?

Micah
If you start that new thread, it should surpass the size of this thread rather quickly! I know a few places (at least 20 years ago they were good).
Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Junkie

Default Trail Info

Originally Posted by burbingus
Anyhow, I was thinking about starting a thread to list all of the trails in the area - up to about 2 hours away from Huntsville. I only know the location of a few places (chigger canyon and a few of the off road parks). So I was wondering if you guys could list any trails you know about, where they're located (GPS coords or address), and how hard they are. I'll start compiling a list, and I'll either put a website up or start a new thread listing the regions.

Any thoughts?

Micah
I think you may find this similar to being in the category of "Hey everyone, I want to go hunt big 10 point bucks, where do you guys go to find them?" Started to write a missive on the pros and cons of a public listing, but keep in mind that many folks are "protective" of their off roading locations as they are becoming less and less available. There are places around Huntsville that have been open for years, but I've heard of owners starting to gate them up because of misuse, litter being the foremost reason for many closings, followed by drunkenness, land/trail abuse and disrespect to the landowners by some of the general public.

Presently, my personal view is to keep that info somewhat close hold and hidden from scrutiny by the general public (I think this is a policy common between two or three of the local offroad clubs, and most likely the reason you don't already have access to an existing list ).
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

I don't know of any free areas other than the one we've all been on. But as far as parks within a couple hours of Huntsville:

Wooly's and Wheelin' in the Country in southern Tennessee
Mountainside in Gadsden
Morris Mountain w ww.morrismountainorv.com/index.htm
Choccolocco Mountain Off Road Vehicle Park ht tp://hstrial-choccoloccomount.intuitwebsites.com/
Stoney Lonesome ht tp://www.stonylonesomeohv.us/
Hawk Pride Mountain Offroad Park ht tp://www.hawkpridemountainoffroad.com/
Gray Rock ORV ht tp://www.grayrockorv.com/
Hale Mountain OHV Park ht tp://www.halemountainohvpark.com/
Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Default Off-road Parks

For clarification, in my post above I was speaking solely about the "non-park" off-road locations. Glad Dennis listed the public ones, although I think he should have started the list with Mountainside as the more I visit other off-road park venues, the more I'm convinced that it is one of the premier parks in the South. We are very lucky to have it so close by, and reasonable with respect to cost ($10).

Originally Posted by Denny2565
I don't know of any free areas other than the one we've all been on. But as far as parks within a couple hours of Huntsville:

Wooly's and Wheelin' in the Country in southern Tennessee
Mountainside in Gadsden
Morris Mountain w ww.morrismountainorv.com/index.htm
Choccolocco Mountain Off Road Vehicle Park ht tp://hstrial-choccoloccomount.intuitwebsites.com/
Stoney Lonesome ht tp://www.stonylonesomeohv.us/
Hawk Pride Mountain Offroad Park ht tp://www.hawkpridemountainoffroad.com/
Gray Rock ORV ht tp://www.grayrockorv.com/
Hale Mountain OHV Park ht tp://www.halemountainohvpark.com/
Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Default 2012 jk

2012s have some neat colors!!

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat