Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
RedRecon snapped these shots. I was in the lead and ended up "exploring" a Level 5 trail called The Wall (yeah, it was exactly like it sounds - a rock wall that buggies rollover attempting to climb). It looked like we could "bail-out" by taking one of two bottom trails that accessed The Wall, but turns out both arteries were intentionally blocked (they led to National Forest land), so we turned around to head back up the top access. The trail however, had basically been a stream several days earlier and was soaked.

I got up a bit, but started digging in - the four of us that dropped down into this gully had to winch ourselves back out. That was an interesting two hours. Got to "break-in" my new Superwinch EPi9.0S even though that was not on my agenda for this trip.

This looks bad, but I wasn't stuck in the sense that I couldn't move - because of the steepness of the incline, I could roll back, but I could not drive forward. If I'd kept digging, I'm sure I would have eventually been truly stuck.

GA guys were great helping with the winching process - something tells me this wasn't their first time dragging themselves out of trouble. Good news is that with a winch, you definitely have more options out on the trails.
The white rubi looks a little too clean!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by In5ane
The white rubi looks a little too clean!
Thank you. It didn't hurt that while we were winching out at The Wall, it was sprinkling a bit (look closely at the pic where I was "digging in", and you'll see water running off the soft top). On the way back from Jacksonville I also pulled over at a coin operated car wash and gave Wilbur a good scrubbing, plus drove through a torrential downpour so he looks even cleaner now.

At the coin wash I was able to spray this junk off.

By the way, where are your pics of the Superlift, Tire/Wheels, and Sahara bumper?
Congrats on your latest mods installation.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Thank you. It didn't hurt that while we were winching out at The Wall, it was sprinkling a bit (look closely at the pic where I was "digging in", and you'll see water running off the soft top). On the way back from Jacksonville I also pulled over at a coin operated car wash and gave Wilbur a good scrubbing, plus drove through a torrential downpour so he looks even cleaner now.

By the way, where are your pics of the Superlift, Tire/Wheels, and Sahara bumper?
Will get a pic soon....looks like I got at least 3" of lift!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

what did you think about the downpour we hit onthe way back? I couldnt even see at one point.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
what did you think about the downpour we hit on the way back? I couldnt even see at one point.
That was some of the heaviest rain and strongest wind gusts I've encountered in awhile. Was very glad that we didn't get that while out on the trail. Good news is that the Dick Cepek Mud Country tires were awesome in those conditions - was sort of worried initially as this was my first time running them in weather like that, but they handled great!!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Boy, I thought we've razzed each other a little harshly at times, but those GA guys don't pull any punches.
See ----> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/south-49/whos-been-high-centered-recently-68390/
Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Saw a Silver 2DR X today out on Redstone that didn't look too bad. Had a Superlift BB with shocks installed, and upgraded tires/wheels. Guy looked like he had had some recent trouble with his right rear window panel on his soft-top as it had a bunch of black duct tape holding everything together.

I'll try to get a pic of that rig soon, and will leave a note telling the owner about this forum and the Huntsville thread - who knows, maybe the guy will end up being a regular on some of our rides, but probably a long shot as a lot of folk in this area seem to buy them for the "coolness" factor . . . and the poor JK ends up being just another Mall Crawler.
Edit: By the way, not knocking the Mall Crawlers - if it weren't for those folks, the rest of us who go off trail wouldn't even be able to purchase a Jeep, because the automaker wouldn't be able to sell enough to consider it a viable (i.e., profitable) product.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Saw a Silver 2DR X today out on Redstone that didn't look too bad. Had a Superlift BB with shocks installed, and upgraded tires/wheels. Guy looked like he had had some recent trouble with his right rear window panel on his soft-top as it had a bunch of black duct tape holding everything together.

I'll try to get a pic of that rig soon, and will leave a note telling the owner about this forum and the Huntsville thread - who knows, maybe the guy will end up being a regular on some of our rides, but probably a long shot as a lot of folk in this area seem to buy them for the "coolness" factor . . . and the poor JK ends up being just another Mall Crawler.
Edit: By the way, not knocking the Mall Crawlers - if it weren't for those folks, the rest of us who go off trail wouldn't even be able to purchase a Jeep, because the automaker wouldn't be able to sell enough to consider it a viable (i.e., profitable) product.
I see a ton of JK's in Atlanta and none of them are on the Forum. I've talked to a few and they don't have an interest. Their interest in the JK is different than us who wheel. That's why they have 2wd JK's, professional mall crawlers!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Are you stalking me...?

Don't be a hater....you know chicks dig the mall crawler. Crowded parking areas aren't a problem for us as we can park anywhere we please!

Hopefully my windows will come in the next day or two. I thought by slicing the back window, the air would circulate better in the jeep...guess not...

Last edited by In5ane; 01-15-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
I see a ton of JK's in Atlanta and none of them are on the Forum. I've talked to a few and they don't have an interest. Their interest in the JK is different than us who wheel. That's why they have 2wd JK's, professional mall crawlers!
Haven't you learned by now not to associate with white 2dr Rubicons...?

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat