Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defender has a really good setup for a daily driver. On a two door, once you get over a 3" lift, then you will seriously need to consider new drive shafts. A 2.5" lift can handle 35" tires, but then you would need to consider getting a programmer like a superchips or hypertech.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Denny2565
A 2.5" lift can handle 35" tires, but then you would need to consider getting a programmer like a superchips or hypertech . . .
or think about re-gearing, or installing a Hemi, or Supercharger.

Hold off on the SC for now though as the verdict is still out - good news is Diablo and RIPP are making progress. Wilbur is improving somewhat with the latest tunes.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jjntj2003

There's a recall for the lines leaking. Check with dealership.
Will do tomorrow. The dealer has been good so far. I will see how they act.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shanesjkjeep
Stock for now. I have an 08 2 door that I am currently in search of an off/on road lift kit for. Since this is my daily driver I need to maintain as much of the current ride/handling I can. You have any ideas?
Thanks
Shane
I agree with the others. I also have an 08 2dr, is yours a stick or auto?
I went with a 4.5" lift and 37s. Also have a 1" body lift on it. In my opinion the Jeep sits too high when Im wheeling. I had to regear and put a new front drive shaft on it. I also have a Max Energy programmer on it.
If I did it all over again, I wouldnt go above 4" total. But above 3" I would still be looking at a new driveshaft and regearing.
Another thing to research is the actual tire height and actual lift height you get from various lifts vs what they advertise. Youll find some folks state that particular lifts will actually yield you a little more than they advertise and vice versa. Same is true for tires.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Shanesjkjeep
Stock for now. I have an 08 2 door that I am currently in search of an off/on road lift kit for. Since this is my daily driver I need to maintain as much of the current ride/handling I can. You have any ideas?
Thanks
Shane
Of course mine's a 4 door, but i am in the same boat as you. I put a 2.5 inch budget boost, i believe it was Dennis' the Brandon's then Justin's now mine. Justin said it is a teraflex, but other previous owners may know better. I am still running the stock tires and shocks, and i haven't noticed any difference in drive-ability. My next upgrades are shocks for a 2.5 in lift, and a set of discos, and maybe brake line extensions and bump stop extensions. I am building mine on the cheap and to maintain on road performance.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ThorJK
Any jkrs close to Murfreesboro or Manchester tn?
I live in Franklin.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone interested in wheeling this weekend? I moved to Nashville from TX and don't really want to hit the trails all by my lonesome

Josh
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Infinity
Anyone interested in wheeling this weekend? I moved to Nashville from TX and don't really want to hit the trails all by my lonesome

Josh
I wish it wasn't going to hammer down the wet stuff tomorrow, otherwise I'd might have been interested. Keep watching here though, I think a fairly big ride is imminent (i.e., at least within the next month or so).

On the other hand, if a gorgeous weekend pops up before then, and nothing else is going on, I might could be coerced into visiting Wheeling-in-the-Country. I've never been there, but hear that it's pretty good (lots of little technical climbs of varying difficulty that one can play/practice on to learn more about both their own and their Jeep's capabilities).

P.S. - is your Shrockworks a mid or stubby? How do you like it?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of us are going to Morris Mtn Sunday if you would like to join.
There having a ride for the Wounded Warriors project this weekend.
Contemplating whether or not to camp Sat night, depends on the weather.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
A couple of us are going to Morris Mtn Sunday if you would like to join.
There having a ride for the Wounded Warriors project this weekend.
Contemplating whether or not to camp Sat night, depends on the weather.
I might be interested in this ride, will check with the family once I get back home from CA tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat