Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of y'all had your battery light come on while you are driving? I did some research on the forum and apparently it's a computer thing or the alternator but the light hasn't come back on since
Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

It's never happened to me. It could be nothing or it could be the battery or alternator. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then go by AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts and let them put their tester on it. They can tell you if the battery is going bad or if the alternator isn't charging properly.

My battery died after two years, no warning at all. I noticed it took a little longer to start one day and the next morning, it was dead.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by redrockjeepr
Have any of y'all had your battery light come on while you are driving? I did some research on the forum and apparently it's a computer thing or the alternator but the light hasn't come back on since
No problem here
Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by redrockjeepr
No battery light phenomenon here. Agree with Denny that you should have the battery checked as I've heard the JK can start doing some weird stuff (i.e., electrical gremlins) when it's close to end of life.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Policejeep
I was taking a glance under my JK today and saw that I am leaking trans fluid. I only have 14k on it. Not happy.
There's a recall for the lines leaking. Check with dealership.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Denny2565

Welcome to the forum Shane. Any plans for your jeep or are you keeping it stock until you get some miles on it?
Stock for now. I have an 08 2 door that I am currently in search of an off/on road lift kit for. Since this is my daily driver I need to maintain as much of the current ride/handling I can. You have any ideas?
Thanks
Shane
Old 05-23-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
No battery light phenomenon here. Agree with Denny that you should have the battery checked as I've heard the JK can start doing some weird stuff (i.e., electrical gremlins) when it's close to end of life.
Definitely could be a dying battery. My Duralast gold died a little over a year after I got it. I remember the battery light came on maybe a couple times in the weeks before it died. It wouldn't hold a charge for very long towards the end and would die if I ran the radio for about 5 minutes. Got it replaced under warranty though
Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any jkrs close to Murfreesboro or Manchester tn?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shanesjkjeep

Stock for now. I have an 08 2 door that I am currently in search of an off/on road lift kit for. Since this is my daily driver I need to maintain as much of the current ride/handling I can. You have any ideas?
Thanks
Shane
Like Dennis said, it all depends on $$$ really. I've got a 2-door with a 2.5 inch teraflex lift and 33s. It was inexpensive (relatively). My thoughts are that it's a great happy medium. You don't sacrifice on road performance and gain a more capable rig that looks better. With that said, I definitely get jeep envy when I'm sitting next to someone's JK - like Dennis. The problem is once you go bigger than 33s and a 2.5-3 inch lift you are looking at spending quite a bit more because of all the mods you have to add such as re-gearing and more suspension components.

I would suggest going with what you want when you can afford it. If you can't afford 35s and a 4 inch lift, don't fool yourself into believing 33s will suffice. I speak from experience!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Defender39
Like Dennis said, it all depends on $$$ really. I've got a 2-door with a 2.5 inch teraflex lift and 33s. It was inexpensive (relatively). My thoughts are that it's a great happy medium. You don't sacrifice on road performance and gain a more capable rig that looks better. With that said, I definitely get jeep envy when I'm sitting next to someone's JK - like Dennis. The problem is once you go bigger than 33s and a 2.5-3 inch lift you are looking at spending quite a bit more because of all the mods you have to add such as re-gearing and more suspension components.

I would suggest going with what you want when you can afford it. If you can't afford 35s and a 4 inch lift, don't fool yourself into believing 33s will suffice. I speak from experience!
Sort of agree with Nick here, but on the other hand I'm somewhat glad that I didn't go from stock straight to one of the "top of the line" mega lifts. I know that that path forward is in my immediate future, but I did get to "grow into" my JK with the current 2.5" coil lift and baby 35s I currently am running on Wilbur. This allowed my off-road ability, what little there is, to "develop" somewhat, and it prevented me from attempting the kind of seriously extreme stuff that can result in a lot of damage to one's vehicle or self if a mistake/error in judgment is made (well almost).

For a different perspective, burbingus is an example of someone who went for the big mods right off the bat, though he did spend much time contemplating his build.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat