Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Have any of you been receiving what you would call "spam" PMs from folks lately? Ive gotten two in the last two weeks and have forwarded both to Eddie, which he took action on. Folks have been PM'ing me telling me about what theyre selling and providing websites. Really weird, it just started happening a couple of weeks ago. Was just curious if anyone else has been experiencing this.
Stay off the p0rn sites with your Project-JK handle and that will not happen as much.

I have gotten a few over the last few years, but maybe 4, nothing huge.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I finally got my new 42 yesterday and got my cut one back from the vulcanizer so I have a spare now.

Jk got its manhood back

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

oooooh so shiney I thought you were suppose to be gone by now
Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RokinRubi
I finally got my new 42 yesterday and got my cut one back from the vulcanizer so I have a spare now.

Jk got its manhood back
Saw you cruisin down 565 today, looks good
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racinfast002
oooooh so shiney I thought you were suppose to be gone by now
We left around 4 ended up not taking the jk.

Originally Posted by jimmoiv
Saw you cruisin down 565 today, looks good
Thanks I sure have missed having the tires. Rides sooooo good.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

Cool Spare Transponder Key

Well after reading a few threads about guys that had to pay a Stealership $150 - $200 for a spare key after some sort of mishap (loss, damage, etc.), I decided to spend $15 for a spare transponder chip key which I was able to have cut, and then program myself.

The critical detail when creating a spare key is that you have to have TWO functional keys. If you have two working keys you can add an additional key without having to access a dealer and their diagnostic computer. Once you have three keys, if you lose (or damage, etc.) one you can buy another blank and still program another replacement key. According to the owner's manual, an owner can self-program up to a limit of 8 keys.

Bought my spare key off of eBay from seller yourkeylessremote. Item is called: DODGE CHRYSLER JEEP TRANSPONDER CHIP IGNITION KEY 46. Had mine cut at Blair & Sons Locksmith (Jordon Lane across from Frizzles) for a nominal fee since I wanted a professional handling that aspect given the $15 cost of the blank key.

For those of you with an alarm key fob you can still use the non-alarm, but transponder equipped key as a back-up key. This would allow you to later purchase a remote equipped alarm key blank, but you would be able to code it to the vehicle yourself, thereby saving some serious cash, because you have TWO working keys.

After trying out your newly cut key, on the doors/tailgate you're ready for programming. There are different programming schemes floating around (including those in your owner's manual), but the one that worked for me was the following:

1. Insert one of the existing transponder keys into the ignition and turn the switch to the ON/RUN position (not the ACCESSORY position). Be careful to NOT start the Jeep.

2. The key should remain in the ON position for 5 seconds but not more then 15 seconds before you turn it back to the OFF position.

3. Within 10 seconds, insert the second existing transponder key into the ignition and turn the switch to the ON position. The VTSS (Vehicle Theft Security System) or Sentry Key Immobilizer System lamp (depending on model) should start to flash letting you know the vehicle is in program mode. On the JK this a red circle LED by the temperature gauge on the right of your dash. It is located at about the 1:00 or 2:00 position of the gauge.

4. Within 45 seconds, turn the switch to the OFF position and remove the second transponder key (flashing LED light went off).

5. Insert the newly cut transponder key and turn the switch to the ON position. Wait about 15 seconds, then turn off and remove key (flashing LED light never came back on, and I never heard any chimes at all during the entire one minute process).
When I tried out the new key, Wilbur fired right up.

Note: If the programming didn't work, the Jeep will run for a few seconds and shut off. DO NOT KEEP TRYING THE NEW KEY IF THE ENGINE DOESN'T CONTINUE TO RUN. You will activate the Jeep's anti-theft feature which will lock your JK down for something like 24 hours. Start the Jeep with one of your original keys first, stop the engine and then try again.

Edit: When I programmed my new key a couple of days ago, I had a "symptom" where the dash lights would not all illuminate during start-up, but driving around today (a day after this post) everything was fine. All dash lights illuminate as they should even during start-up. Not sure what caused the hiccup, but it has apparently been resolved, so I have edited this post to reflect the latest status - All is good.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 04-10-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

interesting gary. I wonder why you don't get the xmas tree effect with the new key. That would freak me out.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wilky
Great write up Gary.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Wilky
But what about those of us who only have 1 factory key??
I read where one guy bought one of the "Rock" keys from his local Stealership for about $15 and they programmed it for him there without extra charge. That last part is where they typically make the $100 or more, but he was fortunate. May work for you if you're nice to the dealership, but I wouldn't absolutely count on that.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by racinfast002
interesting gary. I wonder why you don't get the xmas tree effect with the new key. That would freak me out.
Yup, I'd probably be more concerned if I was using it daily, but it's just a backup in case something happens to the OEM keys. I'm going to post up to see if others have had the same experience with their self-programmed spares.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Wow, looks great Frankie. Nice job!!

Edit: Just noticed, only one BFG Krawler - where are the others, and what are those KMs doing on the Sushi rig?

Originally Posted by sushi
My new bumper a friend and I built.......Swing out tire carrier coming soon...and muffler relocation
Factory cross member removed and replaced w/ 1.50 x .25 wall DOM (tube goes from outside of frame rail to outside coped into inner rail , the rest of the tube is 1.50 x .120 wall DOM

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 04-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat