Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmoiv
Any body been to Stoney Lonesome. I am new to the Jeep world and want to hit the trails. Want to know if it is worth it before i go.

Speaking of, ya'll want to plan a group ride for April 16. I will need a lot of instruction on the trail and don't want to attempt it without those who know what's going on.
I read a while back that it was terrible, that being said a coworker of mine went recently and told me they had done a lot of work on it and it was pretty good... Soooo... I don't know. Hope that helps. Ha
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any body been to Stoney Lonesome. I am new to the Jeep world and want to hit the trails. Want to know if it is worth it before i go.

Speaking of, ya'll want to plan a group ride for April 16. I will need a lot of instruction on the trail and don't want to attempt it without those who know what's going on.
If you listen to a few of the member in this section, they will tell you that Stoney Lonesome is a hell hole and all other types of horror stories. According to them, the park should be shut down. This was at least a 1.5 years ago.

The park may be better, may be the same...I don't know. I would say, if its close to you, then give it a try.

The same haters on Stoney Lonesome seem to forget that Winrock, Wheelin in the Country, and any other OHV park has had their share of growing pains. They didn't just magically appeared and were great from the opening day.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Dont know about Stoney Lonesome, have never been there, heard the stories about it being a dust bowl. I drive by it frequently and the area you can see from the road is still a dust bowl.
Am very interested in going to Hawk Pride soon, have heard some good things about it.
http://www.hawkpridemountainoffroad.com/

Last edited by 08RedRecon; 03-30-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Stoney Lonesome is pretty cool, well marked and has good trails from easy to advanced. They do a Jamboree there every year, I went last year and was impressed by the park.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Default Stoney Lonesome

I've heard it's awesome . . . especially the 200 foot tall dust clouds!!

Seriously, it probably is a fun place for a new Jeep owner. Has some tougher stuff, but mostly a number of nice relaxing trails that would allow you to learn about your vehicle in a relatively safe manner.

Below pic is one someone took while wheeling there.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

"Has some tougher stuff, but mostly a number of nice relaxing trails that would allow you to learn about your vehicle in a relatively safe manner."

I hear the same about Moab.......

16 Days, cant wait.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm more than willing to give it a shot. Anyone care to get a group together and put the rumors to rest?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Dont know about Stoney Lonesome, have never been there, heard the stories about it being a dust bowl. I drive by it frequently and the area you can see from the road is still a dust bowl.
Am very interested in going to Hawk Pride soon, have heard some good things about it.
http://www.hawkpridemountainoffroad.com/
Hawk pride is one of my favorite parks. Been the several times and there is always something new. I have to admit though most of the fun trails require a pretty built jeep. I've taken the jk up some pretty crazy stuff there, Almost rolled on viper. I'd love to hit it up again soon!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

So you're tellin me my stock jku wouldn't be much good there. That sucks, i'm up for trying it anyway though.

Oh, and is a budget boost worth it, or should i wait and get a "real" lift. I'm not looking for huge height, she's still my daily driver, but i was thinking 2.5in lift, 33 inch tires and a set of discos. Of course, this is when my current tires wear out.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mean there is plenty you could play around on we just have to find it. I've got some good video of my jeep there ill post it up.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat