Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...crickets...

Hello ................ is there anybody out there?

Anthony
Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

...crickets...
hummm crickets = good hot chicken wings.....

...Hello ................ is there anybody out there?
yep, im here we are trying to launch a shuttle....radio silence.....

actually playing over in the "jeeps in beautiful places" thread, those north georgia guys actually answered my driving in the snow question that you guys here ignored
Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RCAllen
hummm crickets = good hot chicken wings.....

yep, im here we are trying to launch a shuttle....radio silence.....

actually playing over in the "jeeps in beautiful places" thread, those north georgia guys actually answered my driving in the snow question that you guys here ignored
Good luck with the launch. I always enjoy watching that bird fly.

I think maybe the reason your question never got answered here (I don't even remember seeing it) is the fact that posts tend to get buried. With over 8,000 posts in this one thread, it is easy for that to happen. I usually don't dig too far back when reading this thread, so I missed you even asking the question................ and I am too lazy to look.

What was your question? I promise to respond ...........

Anthony
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racinfast002
pill it till you kill it

Originally Posted by Wilky
Spray and pray (that it holds together).
NOS can be fun .......... Never had it myself, but have been in enough cars with it to know: I would kill myself if I had that little button. I have enough trouble staying out of the pedal now. Another shot of 75-150 hp on demand would do me in for sure.

Anthony
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn .......... Robin has been hanging with the Georgia guys ............ Tina isn't being stimulated .............. I must be losing my touch.

Anthony

Last edited by sixty5vdub; 04-19-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmrubicon
You better step your game up PLAYER!
I haz no game.
Maybe one of these young bucks can step up to the plate.

Has anybody heard of any trail rides in the near future? I am really wanting to get out and ride. Maybe next weekend, after the new bumper is installed......... if it ever gets here ................

Anthony
Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
What was your question? I promise to respond ...........
Anthony
oh now i see why you missed the earlier question, it was actually addressed to you.......sorry man, im a smartass today, ive been here since O dark thirty....and the question was:

thanks anthony, and now you could get the beer here QUICK huh?....yea this isnt pretty, im the poster child for adhd so lots of beer works well. daytime tv sucks, the cups cars practiced at daytona and barrett jackson was on all weekend...now it's back to lets make a deal at least the weather is still crumby and not something i want to play in, yet anyway....so much for sledding the kayaks down the hill in the front yard.....

and i meant to ask,while riding around up here in the 13" of snow, that stuff seemed to "pack" into the tire tread and i lost traction? my tires arent very cleated i dont think, how to you prevent that?

and the georgia guys reply is:

I just got my JK back in July and have FALLEN DEEP in to the Jeep world. I did not air down in the snow. I do not know if that would help for snow. I would like to know that but can't answer it.

Regarding mud, sand and rocks... I went to Skyline WMA in NE AL and that was the 1st time I aired down. I am running stock Rubi 32's and aired down to 15 psi. I should have gone to 12psi. At 15 psi it was AMAZING!!! The ride on the trails was incredible. I did a level 4 rock trail in a stock level 2 Rubicon!! The tires have a lot more grip when aired down.

With all that being said, I am talking my self into thinking that if your were aired down in deep snow, you will have a larger foot print like in mud/sand and thus have better traction.

The stuff I was in did cause some slipping but the factory BFG MT's are like freaking tractor tires, they clean out very well. The blue YJ and yellow TJ were running BFG AT's and the green TJ had Goodyear duratracs. None of us had a major issue and the BFG AT's worked rather well.

damn that turned into a HUGE post huh?.....i dont have a clue how i freaking did that either...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RCAllen
oh now i see why you missed the earlier question, it was actually addressed to you.......sorry man, im a smartass today, ive been here since O dark thirty....and the question was:

thanks anthony,
and i meant to ask,while riding around up here in the 13" of snow, that stuff seemed to "pack" into the tire tread and i lost traction? my tires arent very cleated i dont think, how to you prevent that?
Well, that was your first mistake ............ Don't ever ask me for advice!

I am no expert on driving in snow (or anything else for that matter), but will give it a shot:
I agree that airing down will definitely help in the traction department, if your tires are able to self-clean and get the snow/mud/dirt out of the treads. If your treads are packed full and not able to clear out, than airing down won't really help. The tires will be like slicks, and you won't go anywhere. And, don't forget, you have to able to air the tires back up, be that with a portable air compressor, an air tank, on-board air system, or the air hose at the local gas station.
A more aggressive, Mud Terrain tire will clear out way better than an All Terrain tire does. But, that clearing out comes at the cost of increased tire wear on the street, leading to shorter tire life; and increased road noise.
Now, the stock Rubi BFG's should be fine in most instances, but I can see how driving in soft snow would pack the treads up with snow, causing a lack of traction.
Snow chains are another way to gain traction in snowy/icy conditions. But they can be a bear to put on and take off. And the limited exposure we have down in the South to these conditions would make the value vs. cost factor most unfavorable.
Another thing that is your friend in these types of situations is friction. The heat generated at the tires by keeping the skinny pedal firmly planted on the floor will melt any residual snow/ice from the treads, allowing you to continue on your way. (ok. I just made this last one up)

In conclusion, I really don't have a good answer as to what to do when you find yourself at a loss of traction due to snow packing into the treads. 4LO, locked, and slow should get you out of 98.7% of any situation you find yourself in. The other 1.3% will require winching, tree savers, and some digging.

Unless you are a Mall Krawler like me. Then, you never have to worry about getting stuck.

The preceding statements are the sole opinion of sixty5vdub. These statement shall not be considered as fact, and as such hold no warranty or guarantee, neither written, expressed, or implied. Any damages, neglect, or other catastrophic failures that are derived from these opinions are the sole responsibility of the second and third party individuals involved, and shall not be considered to be the fault of sixty5vdub.

Anthony
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

I haz no game.
Maybe one of these young bucks can step up to the plate.

Has anybody heard of any trail rides in the near future? I am really wanting to get out and ride. Maybe next weekend, after the new bumper is installed......... if it ever gets here ................

Anthony
I've been known to stimulate a gal or two in my day. And being recently single, I'll probably get to stimulate a whole bunch here shortly

And yeah I can't wait to put a 150 shot on the stang. Should run good
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, that was your first mistake ............ Don't ever ask me for advice!

Another thing that is your friend in these types of situations is friction. The heat generated at the tires by keeping the skinny pedal firmly planted on the floor will melt any residual snow/ice from the treads, allowing you to continue on your way. (ok. I just made this last one up)
thanks anthony, yea i dont think we get enough snow here to really worry about it, i was certain i was doing something wrong though...guess not....and actually the friction idea is the one that worked, i didnt really have a choice, it was slide back into a deep ditch or floor it, and hope like hell that road continued at the top of that steep ass hill....it did, to an immediate left turn....straight ahead was nothing but a cliff...that adventure will last me a while....well until my leg heals anyway.....thanks again man...

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat