Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCAllen

mine or his?.... sorry about 4600 miles ago, about 400 short of a trip to the jeep store....and im thinking i wee weeing money away putting a synthetic in him?
His, of course ......... But hey, if you need your's changed, I am sure something could be arranged. Anybody here want to change Robin's oil??

I am not a big fan of synthetic oil. I have used it exclusively in two of my vehicles, with no real advantages that I have noticed (and yes, I used it in my JK). Then again, I have a 99 Caddy Catera with > 150k miles on it that has never had anything but Castrol GTX in it, and it is still going strong (knock on wood).

Anthony
Old 12-03-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTW: I started this thread in the Stock section, just to see what kind of feedback I would see.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...cking-Start-Up

Anthony
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
His, of course ......... But hey, if you need your's changed, I am sure something could be arranged. Anybody here want to change Robin's oil??
oh geeeeez thanks for starting that idea here.......

I am not a big fan of synthetic oil. I have used it exclusively in two of my vehicles, with no real advantages that I have noticed (and yes, I used it in my JK). Then again, I have a 99 Caddy Catera with > 150k miles on it that has never had anything but Castrol GTX in it, and it is still going strong (knock on wood).

ok, good info, ill have a conversation with gil at the jeep store about not putting synthetic back in him next week when im there....if it's not buying me anything well then no point in the extra $$$'s....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

oh geeeeez thanks for starting that idea here........

You're welcome!!

Anthony
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're welcome!!

Anthony
just be prepared to take cover.......

ok, so based on this opinion:
"A ticking valve train on start-up is more common. It's not good, but doesn't really hurt anything in the short time it occurs.
A knocking in the bottom end on start-up is a much worse thing. It indicates impending bearing failure.

how do i know if it's the valve train or "in the bottom end"?

this morning was the first time ive EVER heard a clammer at start-up and we had many cold mornings last winter....maybe i was listening too much?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

just be prepared to take cover.......

ok, so based on this opinion:
"A ticking valve train on start-up is more common. It's not good, but doesn't really hurt anything in the short time it occurs.
A knocking in the bottom end on start-up is a much worse thing. It indicates impending bearing failure.

how do i know if it's the valve train or "in the bottom end"?

this morning was the first time ive EVER heard a clammer at start-up and we had many cold mornings last winter....maybe i was listening too much?
I aint skeert.

I have never owed a vehicle that rattled, ticked, knocked, or made a racket like these JKs do at start up. And I drove air cooled Beetles for the first 10 years of my driving life.
IMHO, ANY noise like what 'we' are experiencing at start up cannot be good, in the long run. Ticking, knocking, or whatever.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed in my posts are based solely on personal experience, or on complete BS. No warranty is expressed, written, or implied.

Anthony
Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

bottom end is going to way loud. Top end has more of a click to it. You said it sounded like a diesel truck, so I would say that is top end noise.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

yep, ok more good info, thanks guys... im labeling henry a screamer and forgetting about it, i cant change it or sounds like prevent it, so it is what it is and im going to drive and enjoy the hell out of it
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

And now, time for something completely different: I just lucked into 2 tix for the SEC Championship game in ATL this weekend ...............

I guess I will be rooting for the Tigers, since my Vols didn't make it to the big show. But, then again, there is always the Music City Bowl ...... T

Anthony
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

What do yall think about this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jk4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	106800  

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat