Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randy payne
The mighty 3.8 raddled a twittle bit this morning,at,25000 miles I guess that's the norm
Originally Posted by racinfast002
my jk decided to start up with a racket this morning as well. I'm on borrowed time until mine winds up like anthony's (minus the hemi). These engines have a serious oiling issue. Oh well
That's one of the strange things about my engine ......... it never really rattled @ start up until less than a week before it died. And, it was during the summer, so cold weather wasn't a factor. I had planned to change the oil/filter the weekend after I heard it rattle one morning, but never got the chance .......

I certainly hope that none of you have to replace your engine like I am having to. If you are hearing the start-up rattle, go ahead and plan on changing your oil/filter. New filter should keep the oil from draining back into the engine while sitting overnight.

Man, I am becoming more and more disillusioned with the whole Jeep thing. After having my TJ stolen, and now this whole JK engine fiasco, I am thinking maybe I shoulda just bought something else. I have been driving a Jeep product (ZJ, TJ, JK)for the past 7-8 years, but right now I really don't see myself owning another one.

Somebody better talk me off of this ledge. The view is looking pretty good up here .............

Anthony
Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by randy payne
Mine has fresh oil and filter now
as does mine...I think I only have 500-700 miles on this oil change. And I have tried a BUNCH of different filters. Same results with all
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

as does mine...I think I only have 500-700 miles on this oil change. And I have tried a BUNCH of different filters. Same results with all
I used Napa brand, as well as Fram, with good results (as far as no start-up knock).

Anthony
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Don't look that up............NASTY

my jk decided to start up with a racket this morning as well. I'm on borrowed time until mine winds up like anthony's (minus the hemi). These engines have a serious oiling issue. Oh well

as far as the whole twit/twat thing, I don't really care as long as its pink in the middle.

Example of a none pink one, Google "blue waffle" but not at work and trust me you have been warned. If you don't vomit, your a better man than I.
Don't look that up...........NASTY
Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
I used Napa brand, as well as Fram, with good results (as far as no start-up knock).

Anthony
If you compare WIX to any filter you would pick WIX the inside is like cartridge filter kind of like the ones BMW uses
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Divescaves
Don't look that up...........NASTY
I tried to warn you didn't I?!?!?!?! The blue waffle will kill you dead
Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Divescaves
If you compare WIX to any filter you would pick WIX the inside is like cartridge filter kind of like the ones BMW uses
I've run these as well. So far there hasn't been a brand that I have used that doesn't knock on start up. It was extra loud this morning. Its whatever. Thats what the lifetime powertrain warrenty is for.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Maybe Ive just been lucky but I go religously to Express Oil Change. I dont ask for any special filter or oil, just what they recommend. Havent had any rattling or knocking during startup yet.....knock on wood.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

man Recon sure has come a long way!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Mine started knocking at startup at about 15K miles and never has stopped, I have 70K now. Maybe the little 6 banger will last for a while longer.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat