Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 11-18-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfast002
so 5 guys, tomorrow, 11 oclock sharp. Be there or be square.
huh? that's it from you....where's the mud stories from yesterday?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RCAllen
huh? that's it from you....where's the mud stories from yesterday?
wasn't too much of a story. Pulled a broke YJ out from the trails by ditto. His vacuum line popped off the front axle so he lost 4wd. My Jeep is filthy.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmrubicon
Ho Ho Ho Santa is listening! BTW you wanna share fries with me?
only if you "dip" them......

ill have to see how this review goes in the am.....
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wilky
That's why those vacuum acuated 4wd suck. Ox-Locker...all the way.
vacum acuated? really....so if they dont suck they dont work...makes perfect toyota sense to me....i guess i shouldnt make fun i broke henry's shifter cable back in the spring in the mud on the river, but at least i was stuck in 4wd....
Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Wont be able to make lunch tomorrow due to return flight form Dallas, but am totally interested in the black friday ride.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by randy payne
Did y'all make gary mad, he hasn't posted in years ?
I told him he was too old to use the internet
Old 11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gonna try to make it to my first lunch tomorrow. Five Guys @ 11, right?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dmrubicon
Ho Ho Ho Santa is listening! BTW you wanna share fries with me?
I guess that means I'm stuck sharing my fries with Justin. Unless sharing fries is a euphemism for something else. In which case, I'm keeping all my fries to myself.

Originally Posted by Defender39
Gonna try to make it to my first lunch tomorrow. Five Guys @ 11, right?
Yep, the one off University.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Denny2565
So for the past week or so, I've had a shimmy in my steering wheel when I hit a bump. A couple days ago, the shimmy turned into a wobble after a bump. I thought I had an out of balance tire or maybe bad ball joints. Today on the way home on a straight level stretch of road, going about 45 mph, my steering wheel started to shimmy, which quickly turned into a wobble. Then my jeep started to shake and I could hear a loud banging. The jeep was shaking to the point that it was actually throwing me back and forth in my seat. I slowed down to about 30 and it seemed to stop so I sped up. It started shaking again when I hit 40 so I stopped and took off again. It was gone now.

I got home and pulled out my torque wrench to check my front track bar. The axle end was good, but when I put it on the frame end, the bolt turned. I dialed back my torque wrench to 80 lbs to see how loose the bolt was. Even at 80 lbs, the bolt still turned nearly a quarter turn before the wrench clicked. So I'm guessing the bolt probably only had around 75 lbs on it. I took it out tonight and everything is back to normal.
Originally Posted by Wilky
Dude...that's so ironic, because the exact same thing started with me about a week ago and progressed exactly like you said. I was going to check all torque settings Saturday morning and thanks to you I now know where to start.
Maybe it's because we installed our lifts in the summer and now that it's cold things are loosening up. LOL!
Still crazy that we experienced it at the same time, same symptoms.

Same lift ....... same issue ......... I wonder if it is anything to do with the TM lift. I am just saying, that is one of the common denominators in this case. But then again, people with all different levels and brands of lift get the dreaded DW. Even stockers.
I had it once, a long time ago, in my old ZJ, running a 2" lift and 33's. I was towing a bass boat, on the interstate. I went over a small bridge, with expansion joints in the road surface. As soon as I got over the bridge, the entire Jeep started shaking to the point I thought I was loosing a tire, or maybe the boat had somehow come loose from the Jeep. Pulled over, everything appeared fine, and it never happened again. It definitely was an experience, the amount of jumping and shaking the Jeep did.
I wish somebody could come up with the conclusive answer to what causes DW. Seems like everybody finds different 'causes' on their rigs.

Anthony
Old 11-19-2010, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
So for the past week or so, I've had a shimmy in my steering wheel when I hit a bump. A couple days ago, the shimmy turned into a wobble after a bump. I thought I had an out of balance tire or maybe bad ball joints. Today on the way home on a straight level stretch of road, going about 45 mph, my steering wheel started to shimmy, which quickly turned into a wobble. Then my jeep started to shake and I could hear a loud banging. The jeep was shaking to the point that it was actually throwing me back and forth in my seat. I slowed down to about 30 and it seemed to stop so I sped up. It started shaking again when I hit 40 so I stopped and took off again. It was gone now.

I got home and pulled out my torque wrench to check my front track bar. The axle end was good, but when I put it on the frame end, the bolt turned. I dialed back my torque wrench to 80 lbs to see how loose the bolt was. Even at 80 lbs, the bolt still turned nearly a quarter turn before the wrench clicked. So I'm guessing the bolt probably only had around 75 lbs on it. I took it out tonight and everything is back to normal.
DW is not fun thats for sure. Glad you tracked it down to the source. Checking torque values has to become a part of our preventative maintenance on our vehicles just like checking the oil.

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat