Notices
The South If you live in the Southern States area (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and Arkansas) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat

Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny2565
So is the Hemi still taking up space on the garage floor? I thought you'd be tearing up and down Zierdt road by now. Come on, it's been four days already.
Trust me. If it were up and running, you guys and gals would be hearing about it.

Been under the weather for the last couple of days, but hoping to get some more progress done this weekend.

Anthony
Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Trust me. If it were up and running, you guys and gals would be hearing about it.

Been under the weather for the last couple of days, but hoping to get some more progress done this weekend.

Anthony
well im sure you've at the least checked the lubrication level in that thing, right? to get familiar with the dipstick location?......
Old 10-28-2010, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RCAllen
well im sure you've at the least checked the lubrication level in that thing, right? to get familiar with the dipstick location?......
I am quite familiar with the location of my dipstick, thank you very much!

Saw a post on here of somebody losing an engine @ 12k miles with major rod bearing failure. Luckily, he is getting his engine replaced under warranty. Not suprising that Jeep is coming out with the Pentastar engine to replace the piece of crap 3.8L minivan motor. Hopefully it will be a much better alternative.

Man, I miss my TJ. That 4.0L inline six was bullet-proof.

Anthony
Old 10-28-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=sixty5vdub;1912902] I am quite familiar with the location of my dipstick, thank you very much!

your welcome....

Saw a post on here of somebody losing an engine @ 12k miles with major rod bearing failure. Luckily, he is getting his engine replaced under warranty. Not suprising that Jeep is coming out with the Pentastar engine to replace the piece of crap 3.8L minivan motor. Hopefully it will be a much better alternative.

Man, I miss my TJ. That 4.0L inline six was bullet-proof.

ya'll are just scaring the shit out of me with all these known horror stories of engine failure with these things, henry has a LIFETIME engine warranty, now i guess i know why huh?...so if he blows up say, in the next 50k or so, would they replace it with the same piece of crap i got or the new pentastar engine you think? wouldnt be that lucky huh....
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

ya'll are just scaring the shit out of me with all these known horror stories of engine failure with these things, henry has a LIFETIME engine warranty, now i guess i know why huh?...so if he blows up say, in the next 50k or so, would they replace it with the same piece of crap i got or the new pentastar engine you think? wouldnt be that lucky huh....
We could only hope for that... I did a quick search for other vehicles with this motor that are still in production. Not finding any... so maybe after a few 1000 people gets their engines replaced Jeep will run out and have to replace with the Pentastar motor... Of course this is all a big pipe dream.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to post something long and drawn out about the whole Chrysler/Jeep warranty coverage .............. But I think we all now how awesome they are about covering things.

So, I now return you all to your scheduled programming.

Man, I think the thought of having a root canal done in an hour has me all loopy.

Anthony
Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uofagrad05
We could only hope for that... I did a quick search for other vehicles with this motor that are still in production. Not finding any... so maybe after a few 1000 people gets their engines replaced Jeep will run out and have to replace with the Pentastar motor... Of course this is all a big pipe dream.
well hell brandon that may not be that big a pipe dream, there's a butt load of these things out there, and lots of folks not diligent about lube levels, im about to wear henry's dipstick out not to mention the hood latches getting there....they gotta start failing in large numbers eventually....

so this leads me to another question, holding this thing at highway speed, not trying to break any land speed records (70mph) it seems to "jump" in and out of gear constantly? because of the way it's geared? or just too damn little? ive heard running it out of overdrive will stop this but then your fuel consumption goes to hell right?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man, I think the thought of having a root canal done in an hour has me all loopy.

Anthony
holy smokes! sorry i know that's not any fun! GOOD LUCK
Old 10-28-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

well hell brandon that may not be that big a pipe dream, there's a butt load of these things out there, and lots of folks not diligent about lube levels, im about to wear henry's dipstick out not to mention the hood latches getting there....they gotta start failing in large numbers eventually....

so this leads me to another question, holding this thing at highway speed, not trying to break any land speed records (70mph) it seems to "jump" in and out of gear constantly? because of the way it's geared? or just too damn little? ive heard running it out of overdrive will stop this but then your fuel consumption goes to hell right?
I know for a fact that my oil level was never more than a quart low. So I am sure that oil level is not the deciding factor in my case. I have seen post here where people have taken their engines to the stealerships, and the cause of their failures was determined to be a lack of oiling to the rod/main bearings. That is why they are replacing them under warranty.

As far as the gear hunting issues, I never had them. But people say that the Superchips Flashpaq helps to resolve this. I sold mine a few weeks ago, or else I would let you try it out and see if it helps. You might look into getting one. Worth the money, IMO.

Anthony
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know for a fact that my oil level was never more than a quart low. So I am sure that oil level is not the deciding factor in my case. I have seen post here where people have taken their engines to the stealerships, and the cause of their failures was determined to be a lack of oiling to the rod/main bearings. That is why they are replacing them under warranty.
oh very good info there, so i can check the oil level all i want, it isnt gonna show me squat anyway....good i was about to wear that dipstick out....

As far as the gear hunting issues, I never had them. But people say that the Superchips Flashpaq helps to resolve this. I sold mine a few weeks ago, or else I would let you try it out and see if it helps. You might look into getting one. Worth the money, IMO..
yea i shoulda jumped on yours for sure.....ok, i will go find one and see if that resolves that problem....thanks anthony!

Quick Reply: Huntsville Alabama / Tennessee Valley Chat